Building a Garden in Clay

Monday, May 29, 2006
Our friends in Georgia now have a new vegetable garden, thanks to our efforts over the long weekend. OK, well it's not quite a vegetable garden yet, but it's a pretty fine looking 12' x 6' box of dirt, waiting to become a vegetable garden.

I forgot to bring the camera for before and after pictures, but let me see if I can paint the picture for you. During the hottest part of a HOT Georgia day, we built a raised garden bed from scratch. We began with the process of tearing out a section of grass in the back yard. Then we got down to business, grabbed our shovels and, with all our might... took a gigantic swing... and...
Tink! Tink! Tink! The shovels just about swung back at us.

So we learned that:


1. They ain't kidding about Georgia Clay. It's not a myth.


2. Don't ever use your favorite pickaxe while attempting to break up Georgia Clay. It
will get bent.

3. We'll never complain about our own soil ever again.


4. Don't build a garden bed in the middle of a Georgia summer day, unless you have vast quantities of water and sweet tea. Fruit smoothies also help. Oh, and you'll need a lot of aspirin afterwards, too. And finally...


5. How does
anything grow in Georgia anyway?

Seriously though, it was really hard work but we had a fantastic time. This was a surprise gift to Michael's friend's girlfriend, and she looked ecstatic at the chance to start a garden in a brand new bed of thick, dark, clayless, fluffy soil. We now await word on what she decides to plant.

Giving the gift of a garden... It was totally worth it.

3 Comments:

Blogger Dirty Fingernails said...

You have now dealt with the Georgia Clay.. It requires a lot of mulch and maneur.. And a lot of patience.. My jump from Idaho to here in GA was unreal.. Took a few years to figure things out.. Come over to my blog and see what I have been growing.

2:39 PM  
Blogger Stunned Donor said...

I helped my friends Jon and Michele with their landscaping when they bought a new house in Roswell and I have to say the Georgia clay is a pain in the butt. However..never,ever volunteer to plant a tree for a friend in San Antonio TX. I think they were playing a joke on me, because when I hit caliche I thought I was hitting concrete.

12:02 PM  
Blogger Christa said...

Weeding the Garden: I stopped by your blog and saw that you have gardenias blooming. I saw some gardenias on my trip to Georgia. Their fragrance is just wonderful. Enjoy them while they last.

Caliche?? I consider myself forewarned!

12:31 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Home