Shades of Yarrow

Tuesday, May 23, 2006
In my first gardening year, I didn't want to invest in any perennial flowers. There were a few perennials in my plot from the previous owner, but I wasn't about to add new ones that would require a whole year's wait until bloom time. I wasn't patient enough. I wanted instant gratification. So I planted annuals.

But last summer, I gave in and bought myself a perennial yarrow plant. I'd been admiring these in other people's gardens and I really wanted one of my own.

When I bought my yarrow, it was kind of scraggly looking and hung on for dear life in a flimsy plastic pot that was about five inches wide. This spring it settled nicely into its new home, and now it's about three feet tall by three feet wide. An explosion of yellow!


What I can't convey through the blogosphere is its wonderful fragrance. Find yourself a jar of honey and take a whiff. The leaves and blossoms smell somewhat like honey.

Here I've put a few cuttings with my blue sage flowers. A pretty combination, isn't it?

3 Comments:

Blogger Stunned Donor said...

I love yarrow and the arrangement in the little jar is very pretty.

9:57 AM  
Blogger David (Snappy) said...

Beautiful plant (I need to go and sniff some honey downstairs to get the aroma of your yarrow).Buy a mixture of plants that flower this year and then ones for the next year.I have a foxglove over a year old grown from seed and im dying to see its cathedral like flower spikes.Two years it will have been to see its flowering glory!

9:27 PM  
Blogger Dirty Fingernails said...

I also love yarrow.. I have pinks and whites in my yard.. They grow like crazy,so I have shared them with lots of neighbors and family..

3:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Home