Jack O'Lantern Flower?

Thursday, May 25, 2006

This is my poor little Chinese Lantern plant. I'm now calling it a Jack O'Lantern plant, since some little critter has been busy carving shapes into it. I'll be really spooked if I go by the garden one day and see a face design staring back at me. Yeeesh!

Chinese Lanterns are such an interesting flower. I was hoping to grow a few this year, but it's not looking good so far. Come to think of it, I've never seen anyone in the community garden grow Chinese Lanterns. Hmmmmm. That's not a good sign.


Anyone know what could be bugging this little guy? I've never seen any actual bugs on or around it, but obviously they're hard at work when I'm not looking.

5 Comments:

Blogger ~~ Melissa said...

I have no idea what's bugging your plant but you reminded me that I had chinese lanterns a few years ago and they were so invasive I had to take them out. I guess you haven't had that problem. :-)

10:29 PM  
Blogger Christa said...

Yes, I had heard these can be very invasive, but I decided to take my chances because I like them so much. I only planted two, but they both have the bugs.

Einerlei, thanks for the link to the information about flea beetles. Those are bugging the eggplants too!

4:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i have a question, for my science class. how far do you need to plant the chinese lantern?? 1/2 an inch??

2:46 PM  
Blogger Christa said...

Plant the seeds at a depth of 1/4". There is more information here if you need it.

8:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would like to see a picture with the seed pods does any one have that /

8:24 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Home