The Fruitful Front Yard

Monday, May 22, 2006
Earlier this month, Amy Stewart blogged about the pleasures of having vegetables and fruits planted in the front yard. She got me thinking about several front yard gardens here in D.C. that I really like. This one always brings a smile to my face when the strawberry blossoms begin to open. There are strawberry plants along the walkway leading to the front door. It looks like they have something else interspersed; I think it's Pachysandra, which I assume will fill in after the strawberries are done bearing fruit. Isn't this a great idea?

I don't know why more people don't plant edibles in the front yard. I guess they're afraid of thieves? Who knows.
I don't have a front yard of my own, but if I did, I think I'd want to include some vegetables or fruits among the flowers and such. Why not mix things up a little? I think it would be interesting. And how fun it must be to pick a strawberry or two as you're heading out the front door.

On Saturday I passed by the house and saw they had set out -- or left behind? -- a few berries. I could only imagine there was someone inside, peering from behind a curtain, watching to see who the first taker might be. It was tempting, but I still have strawberries of my own to pick. And besides, perhaps these will lure and inspire someone else in the neighborhood to take up a little front yard gardening of their own.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wonder if some people just think that fruits and veggies are too utilitarian to be "front yard" material? I admit that I don't have either in mine, but I have perennials and grasses mixed in with herbs there since lots of herbs are very beautiful as well as useful.

10:30 AM  
Blogger David (Snappy) said...

I thought about this last night growing veggies and fruits in between the flowers.The original cottage garden was a mixture of herbs, vegetables, and edible plants used for sustenence rather than show.I think the strawberry plants out front is cool, but i imagine here the kids would steal them!

2:34 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Home