The Garden Year in Review

Sunday, December 31, 2006

Is it just me or did the month of December disappear in the blink of an eye? The holiday season has gone by so fast, it seems, and here we are, already counting the hours remaining in 2006.

But before I bid this year adieu, I thought I would take some time to recount the days in this year's garden. So here goes:

The Best and Worst of My Garden Plot in 2006.

Best Fruit: Strawberries.

Best New Ornamental Flower: Ruby Moons.

Favorite New-to-my-Garden Vegetable: Potatoes.

Favorite New-to-my-Garden Herb: Sage.

Best-All-Around Vegetable: Tomato. (OK, I know they're really fruits, but strawberries win for fruit, and I have to fit tomatoes in this list somewhere!)

Favorite Thing to Harvest: Garlic.

Worst Herbal Casualty: Rosemary. (It died, despite my best efforts to save it.)

Most Popular Post: Turkey brined with sage.

Longest Blog Post: The Weekend Herb Blogging Recap.

Most Popular Posts about Herbs: Chamomile Tea and Basil Lemonade.

Favorite Herbal Recipe Invention: Tarragon & Chocolate Biscotti.

My Least Favorite Recipe: Carrot and Dill Soup.

Worst Insect Infestation: Whiteflies.

Meanest-Looking Insect: This one.

Prettiest Wildlife Visitor: Hummingbird.

Least Favorite Wildlife Visitor: Deer.

Most Envied Item in a Neighboring Plot: Blueberries.

Favorite Gift from Another Gardener: Onions.

Biggest Unsolved Mystery: Snake eggs or mushrooms? (Whatever they were, they eventually disappeared on their own.)

Smelliest Task: Setting out the comfrey compost.

Most Daring Photo Shoot: Getting up close and personal with the bees on wisteria flowers.

Favorite Use for Our Own-Grown Tomatoes: Hands down, the fresh tomato sandwich wins every time.

Happy New Year to All!

7 Comments:

Blogger Anita said...

Christa, I very very much enjoyed your garden year in review! You put quite a lot work in that post, thanks a lot for sharing your favourite plants! I especially liked your basil lemonade, I should try it as well this summer!

Happy new (gardening) year to you!

9:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Were the potatoes you tried called Charlotte - if you can get this variety do try them.

5:06 AM  
Blogger Colleen Vanderlinden said...

I loved reading about your gardening year. I hope you have another great year of gardening and blogging!

8:39 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I enjoyed reading about your garden this year, and look forward to the next. Hope you have a very prosperous (gardening and otherwise) 2007!

6:09 PM  
Blogger Christa said...

Thanks, and happy new year to all of you, too. John, I've never heard of the potato variety called Charlotte. The ones I planted were fingerlings. I'll have to give the Charlottes a try if I can find them.

3:59 PM  
Blogger Sisah said...

This is a very interesting review, with plenty of new impressions for me. The humming-bird story at your lovely Ruby Moon beans ( is it Dolichos lablab?) I enjoyed most. I´ll have to find out if I can get here these beautiful looking climbers.
Happy new year !

11:28 AM  
Blogger Christa said...

Sisah,
Happy New Year to you as well and thanks for stopping by. Yes, the name for the Ruby Moon beans is Dolichos lablab. I hope you can find them. They make a beautiful addition to the garden.

10:56 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Home