Wisteria gives me a buzz

Friday, April 28, 2006

You know you're obsessed with your new camera equipment when [fill in the blank].

My answer: When you're willing to snuggle up to a swarm of bees because you want that perfect tight shot of a single one.


It took two parts tenacity, one part bravery, and perhaps a dash of insanity to get this shot. I was out to take photos of the wisteria flowers by the edge of the community garden. As I got closer, I heard the buzz -- a loud buzz. Then I saw the swarm. There were no less than 30 large bees buzzing around that bush -- maybe more if you count the ones that were burrowed inside the fence post. They looked to me like bumble bees, so I didn't think they had stingers. Still, it was a bit unnerving.


I hung out with those bees for about an hour, hoping not to cause too much of an interruption in their frantic pattern of nectar gathering and mating. At one point, I thought the bees might signal to each other, "Hey, that lady's been hanging out here too long, let's all swarm her!"

Fortunately, I came away unscathed. And a few of the bees had paused long enough for me to get some great shots.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent picture. You get my vote for Bravest Garden Blogger. Hearing that loud buzz would have sent me running.

9:13 AM  
Blogger ~~ Melissa said...

Lovely! I don't find the bees mind me near them, but neither do they ever stay still long enough for me to get the shot I want. :)

3:24 PM  
Blogger Dirty Fingernails said...

I am more frightened of the Wisteria than I am those bees.!!!! It will take over my yard if I don't kill it every spring..

6:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your photos are beautiful. I sure can relate to hanging out w/the bees for an hour. I am obsessive w/the camera & mine isn't fancy--it's a good quality point & shoot, but I love to use it as a third eye. You have a great blog. My first major gardening experience was in a community garden--I am very fond of community gardens...thanks for visiting me today!

8:03 PM  
Blogger Dianne said...

Facing the bees was so worth this photo. I have one of a bee on a red poppy taken with a film camera (gasp)!
Thanks for visiting my blog. : )

12:12 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Home