Eating From the Garden: Potatoes

Tuesday, June 20, 2006
Earlier this month, when we pulled our test potatoes, they were still very tiny. But over the weekend we discovered that the plants were beginning to turn brown, so we figured they were ready to harvest.


These are fingerling potatoes and -- oh, my goodness -- they are sooooooo good! I am somewhat of a fanatic about potatoes (I mean, who doesn't like potatoes, right?), but these were something exceptional.

Last night I roasted a batch in a few glugs of olive oil and sprinkled them with salt and pepper and a few sprigs of fresh rosemary. That first bite went from the slightly crisp-taut skin and gave way to a wonderful, buttery-smooth -- "I can't believe how good this is" -- texture. Simple and uncomplicated -- just good potatoes. It took serious effort on my part to refrain from eating the whole bunch!


I reserved some of the uncooked ones, which I'd like to try next with fried sage. Our sage plants are going gangbusters in the garden right now, so this will be a great use for them.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Christa, bring them on, wash those babys off, sprinkle them with a little bit of salt, and eat away.

Those roasted ones looks very yummy!

6:51 AM  
Blogger Stunned Donor said...

Your taters are gorgeous!

9:45 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Home