Jack & Hammer, The Dynamic Drilling Duo

Thursday, June 15, 2006
A brightly decorated, masked visitor hams it up for the camera as he prepares to jackhammer his way into my bok choy. His twin buddy, Jack, the other half of the Dynamic Drilling Duo, waited in the wings to provide back-up support.

Now I'm not a bug-crusher type, nor am I squeamish about most insects (except Bullet Ants, which are another matter entirely) so I decided to let them be. As threatening as they looked, I didn't know what they were and I didn't know if they were "good guys" or "bad guys." In my view, all bugs get the benefit of the doubt and go into the "good" category, until I witness or hear something that makes me think otherwise. (Flea beetles, mosquitos, cockroaches = bad!) Besides, my two remaining bok choy plants are on their way out now -- fit enough only for compost at this point -- so I figured these guys could have a few bites.


I just hope they don't have an appetite for tomato plants. I don't feel like sharing any of those.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Christa,

Great photo -- they're cool-looking bugs, for sure!

Genie
The Inadvertent Gardener

10:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice shot. Can I ask what kind of camera/lens you use. Your close up shots are always great looking.

11:10 AM  
Blogger Christa said...

Glad to hear you like the photo.

Anthony, my camera is a Nikon D50 and I do all my close-up work with a 105 mm lens. I just got this equipment a few months ago and it's been incredibly fun using it to explore the garden up close. In fact, sometimes I go out to take pictures and I get so involved in it that no actual gardening gets done! LOL!

I am always happy to hear people enjoy the photos. I certainly enjoy taking them.

4:25 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Home