Eye on the Peachy Prize

Monday, July 17, 2006
The peach tree at the community garden is hanging down its branches, heavy with fruit. This is the same tree whose blossoms I photographed this spring. And what a treat it has been to watch the progression from buds, to flowers, to fruit.

Taking a closer look, I found that a few peaches dropped to the ground already -- not quite ripe yet. I gathered the ones that were in good shape, and took them home to ripen on the counter. They're slightly blemished in a few spots and smaller in size than the ones you'd find in a grocery store, but... Free organic peaches? Who's complaining? Not me.


The tree sits just steps from our garden plot, and the peaches are, quite literally, up for grabs. I feel very fortunate that the tree is there. Not only do I enjoy the peaches, but it is also fun to see other people in the community come by to do the same.

Meanwhile... my amazing, wonderful husband just cooked up this fabulous grilled (store bought) peach, drizzled with honey and a few snips of basil. Wow! I am in peach heaven right now.

And to think there are more peaches to come. Ah, summertime. Life is good!

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are so lucky, those peaches look divine!

8:53 AM  
Blogger Anthony said...

As usual, your pictures are fantastic. Do you ever put your camera down or is it constantly by your side. :)

9:03 AM  
Blogger Stunned Donor said...

I neglected to spray my Red Haven peach tree at the beginning of the season and my peaches are shot through with bugs. Waaaaaah.

10:05 AM  
Blogger David (Snappy) said...

I worked in Australia for a year, with some agricultural work.For a few days we picked peaches.Ohmygod the smell in the air was sweet,mmmm peaches.You are lucky that peach tree overhangs yum yum.By the way i ate them untill i had gut rot but they were sprayed with some pesticide.

4:20 PM  
Blogger Christa said...

Denise,
I do feel very lucky. I never would have thought I'd be picking fresh peaches in Washington, D.C.

Anthony,
Thanks! What can I say? I love good photography and the only way I'll get better at it is if I keep snapping away. Yeah, my camera is close by, pretty much all the time. I can't help it!! :-)

Steven,
Bummer about your peaches, but with those boatloads of beets, potatoes, peas, etc., that you have, I know you aren't starving!

Snappy,
Gut rot??! That sounds dreadful! I know that peaches are said to be one of the most "polluted" fruits, with so many pesticides. That is why I am particularly happy that we have a few organic ones to pick.

9:33 PM  
Blogger Naturegirl said...

I once had a house with 2 peach trees and yummo those organic sweet peaches picked right from the tree so much better than store bought! Peach pies
were abundant in our freezer oh and freezer jam! This garden I have 2 cherry trees that the racoons feasted on..:(

6:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh how I envy you! We can't grow peaches this far north, and there is nothing better than peach right off the tree.

3:46 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Home