The Island of Misfit Plants

Tuesday, July 04, 2006
This is how one of our vegetable beds looks today. I'm calling it the Island of Misfit Plants, because it's a menagerie of random things right now.

In the spring, this was one of the prettiest spots in the garden. We had our lettuces, broccoli, potatoes, bok choy, beets, carrots, and red cabbages in there. Now we have...

...the beets and carrots that have stopped growing because it's too hot. (I don't blame them. I don't want to do anything in this hot weather either.)

...one chive plant full of weeds.

...The Lone Edamame. Out of about 12 seeds I planted, only one grew. (But hey, it's blooming now... so that's progress!)

...The Lone Brussels Sprout. Again, out of a row of seeds, only one grew. I think the rest of the seeds washed away in the torrential rain.

...The Headless Broccoli. This poor misfit was overshadowed by its larger broccoli brothers and sisters, and never got enough sun. I decided to leave it in and see if it will grow to its full potential.

So there you have it, The Island of Misfit Plants. I don't know what else to put in at this point. Maybe cucumber seedlings? It's too late for the spring things, and too early for the fall things. So maybe I'll just work on building the soil until I can figure out what comes next.

3 Comments:

Blogger R said...

they look so sad to be all alone!

12:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beets, carrots, chives? Misfits? I was expecting to see a cowboy riding an ostrich or a water gun that shoots jelly.
:)

1:15 PM  
Blogger Christa said...

I know, I know; I shouldn't call them misfits. But they are definitely loners. :=(

4:17 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Home