Carrots & Beets with Thyme

Monday, July 10, 2006
Weeds weren't the only thing I pulled from the garden yesterday. I also took out our spring crop of carrots and beets.

The beets were very small, but usable nonetheless. I roasted them in a bit of olive oil and reserved them for use in a salad.

With the carrots, I decided to mix in some of the beet stems, fresh thyme, olive oil, salt and pepper. I roasted this in the oven for about a half hour.


Afterwards, I topped everything off with a squeeze of fresh orange juice and a bit of orange zest, for a delicious side dish.

3 Comments:

Blogger Stunned Donor said...

Looks delicious and I just happen to have all the ingredients at hand.

10:43 AM  
Blogger Nickie said...

mmmm yummy!

11:35 PM  
Blogger Carolie said...

Oh, your pictures are gorgeous! You made me hungry, and very nostalgic for home. My mother always has a very similar bouquet all summer, refreshed weekly from her garden....zinnias (and cosmos) always remind me of mother and home.

And those golf-ball-sized beets are so delicious! I miss having a garden. Maybe next year, now that I've been through one "rainy season" here in Japan...if I can buy some dirt for my concrete-hard little yard...

5:44 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Home