Longing for Warmer Days

Tuesday, April 17, 2007
Rainy Day Basil

A pinch of the basil leaves on my kitchen windowsill and the fragrance transports me to another place -- a warm, sunny place in the summer garden -- a place I daydream about while our so-called "spring" gets interrupted by knuckle-numbing low temperatures. That basil on the windowsill, gazing out at Sunday's torrents of frigid rain, seems to be longing for warmer days just like I am.

While the cold and the rain kept me out of the garden on Sunday, I took the opportunity to catch up on my indoor seed sowing. I planted a collection of cheerful summer bloomers: Zinnias, Marigolds, Mexican sunflowers, and Gerbera daisies. And pressing onward for sunnier days... the seeds of more Sweet Basil.

6 Comments:

Blogger kate said...

Lovely photo of basil ... I almost can smell the wonderful fragrance of the pinched leaves.

You'll have beautiful flowers this year!

Spring has been so long in coming this year.

12:10 PM  
Blogger Yolanda Elizabet Heuzen said...

Excellent planning because those sunny days will come and you will have a lovely garden full of wonderful flowers!

2:42 PM  
Blogger Diana said...

I'm looking forward to this weekend's seed sowing too: zinnias, basil, dill, cucumbers, melons, sunflowers... aaaaah!

And it's supposed to reach 75 on Tuesday, garden here I come!

11:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have inspired me to plant some basil tomorrow.
Lovely shot here, and I can understand why you were nominated.

5:30 PM  
Blogger Andrea's Garden said...

Hello Christa, your photographs are just absolutely great! I hope your weather will turn for the better. We could use some rain over here in Germany. It rained a little last night and cooled down a bit, but it is not enough. Thanks for visiting my blog, keep coming back. Greetings from Germany, Andrea

5:51 PM  
Blogger Green thumb said...

Dear Christa,thanks for visiting India Garden.
Congratulations on being nominated for the Mouse and Trowel awards.
The photographs in your blog are so full of life.
Looking forward to all the Zinnias, Marigolds, Mexican sunflowers...!

7:14 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Home