Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day

Sunday, April 15, 2007
Given the cold weather we've had lately, I didn't think I'd have much to show for this month's edition of Garden Blogger's Bloom Day. But the spring flowers in my garden are coming along just fine. I was happy to discover each little burst of color as I walked through the plot to take these photos yesterday. Are you ready for this month's tour?

Violets: I know some people think of violets as terribly invasive weeds, but I think they are quite sweet. I have two kinds of violets that are left over from the person who owned the plot before me.


I discovered a single delicate viola, which I think must have arrived here as a stow-away seed in the compost. Now I'm wishing I had more violas. They're pretty!


I have two kinds of daffodils...

Here's a close-up view...

The double ones smell particularly sweet...


There's a trio of grape hyacinths, also left over from the the person who
owned the plot before me.


A few giant white hyacinths, also very fragrant...

Then there are the edibles. This is my first time seeing what arugula flowers look like.
These are the arugula plants that overwintered from last fall...


The chives are getting their buds...


And... oh, yes! I've got strawberry flowers!!
Bring 'em on!!

And lastly, the weeds. Dandelions...

And henbit. I've got lots of henbit.


A big thanks to Carol for creating Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day. Be sure sure to visit her blog, May Dreams Gardens, to see what's blooming in gardens elsewhere today. Enjoy!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Related post:
Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day, March 15, 2007

11 Comments:

Blogger Carol Michel said...

Your pictures are amazing in their focus and clarify. I, too, love the woodland violets. Invasive? Bring 'em on to my garden. I'll find homes for them.

Thank you for participating in Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day with such lovely pictures. Even the dandelion is stunning!

9:48 AM  
Blogger Naturegirl said...

What wonderful color in your Bloom Day post!sigh...I have posted early ~brave bloomers~ that stood up to our harsh freezing temps. in my zone 6 Canadian location! Come brave the cold and see! NG
P.S. wear a warm sweater!

9:51 AM  
Blogger Silvia Hoefnagels . Salix Tree said...

The henbit is really pretty, it's surprising people consider it a weed.
I love the first photo of the daffodils, it's beautiful, so fresh looking!

11:09 AM  
Blogger Linda said...

I love your daffodils. My Canadian garden hasn't really woke up yet ... but a lot is popping through the ground, giving me optimism that soon I'll have lovely photos to post as well. Perhaps even a dandelion or some henbit :) Thanks for visiting my garden blog.

11:49 AM  
Blogger pmo3ws(Kathy) said...

Your blooms are beautiful! My early bloomers are fading fast or already gone.

1:12 PM  
Blogger Kathy said...

So many beautiful blooms! I love the violas, too - something so simple and delicate about them.

3:33 PM  
Blogger Annie in Austin said...

No wonder you were nominated for a Mouse and Trowel Award for your photography, Christa. Your photos let us see the intricacies of these flowers more clearly than we can with our own vision.

Do violets even grow in Austin? I'm not sure, but think it would be nice to have some fragrant violets invade my garden.

Annie at the Transplantable Rose

6:46 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

That is the most beautiful picture of a chive blossom that I've ever seen! Thanks so much for sharing your lovely pictures, Christa.

7:42 PM  
Blogger Gotta Garden said...

Such a lot going on! What fun to see so close up and inside things! Thanks for the most lovely photography!

8:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your close-up photography is amazing.
I love the violets and henbit.
I know why you're nominated for best photography:)

8:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just found your site and the photography is truely amazing. The breathtaking beauty of flowers caught on camera. I have just discovered some Violets leading from my orchard and they are lovely delicate flowers and certainly not a weed by my reckoning!
Sara from farmingfriends

3:28 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Home