Installing the mini vineyard

Wednesday, April 04, 2007

In the plot to the northeast of ours is Albertino, an amazing gardener, source of inspiration, fellow soccer fan, and giver of onions. Albertino was feeling generous once again when we saw him on Saturday morning.

"Do you want a vine to plant?" he asked my husband as he held up a very lifeless looking skinny brown stick.

"Uh... what kind of vine?" Michael asked hesitantly.

"It's grapes."

Meanwhile, I'm over in our plot working on something and my head pops up immediately when I hear the trigger word: grapes.

Yes! Oh, yes! We want that! Yes, take it! Take it!
I uttered telepathically to my husband.

So here we are, the proud owners of our first grape vine -- the makings of our own mini vineyard. I am so excited.

Now I know just about as much about growing grapes as I do about growing potatoes, which is to say not very much. If someone had given me a grapevine cutting three years ago when I started the garden, I would have laughed. Grow grapes? In D.C.? Yeah, right. Very funny. But I'm actually quite excited about it because I now know that it is possible. Albertino grew bunches of grapes in his plot last summer. I have a photo to prove it.

Albertino's Grapes, Summer 2006

Our vine is just a tiny fraction of the mother vine from whence it came, so I don't know how long it will be before we see any grapes on it. I sure feel fortunate to have the chance to find out, though.

4 Comments:

Blogger Rosengeranium said...

Grapes! O'boy, o'boy, o'boy! I would have done the same, for sure! Unfortunately the only spot where I can grow grapes on my balcony is occupied by my cherry tree (cherries is one of my other weaknesses).

4:25 AM  
Blogger Ed Bruske said...

As many edibles as possible, that's what I say. And why not grapes in D.C.? They grow plenty in Maryland and Virginia. And they make wine. But there are varieities that do well in this region, others that do not. Do tell us what variety you and your friend are growing.

9:55 AM  
Blogger Diana said...

Oh I'm so excited! I started a grape vine too, so we can share notes.

I just added you to my blogroll: http://munge.net/~diana/blog

And you're not the only one with potato woes... just wait till I post tomorrow about the POND I planted mine in... :/

Happy gardening!

11:49 AM  
Blogger kate said...

I hope you enjoy growing your grapevine. My father has great fun with his ... and they can survive in Saskatchewan which I find amazing. He had an incredible grape yield last year.

12:21 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Home