The Accidental Larkspur

Sunday, June 11, 2006

Sometimes it's the unexpected things that make my garden most enjoyable. Take my Accidental Larkspurs, for example. I call them accidental because I wasn't expecting them to be here. Their growth this spring came as a pleasant and welcome surprise.

You see, last spring I planted an entire package of seeds, but not a single one germinated. Not one. Zero. Zip. Nada. I was so disappointed. It was a bunch of bum seeds, I thought. So in a last ditch effort, I tried sowing another half package, even though it was late May and the weather had become too hot. Again, nothing. It wasn't meant to be.

So you can imagine the joy in my eyes when early this spring I spotted a first unfamiliar tuft of green. Then another. And then another.

Could it be? I thought. Could those be my larkspurs? Sure enough, they were.

So now I have an entire section of them -- a beautiful multitude of delicate pink, white, lavender, and bold purple blooms. And because I wasn't expecting them this year, their presence is all the more appreciated. I'm enjoying them every day, as are the bees.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

They're beautiful, Christa! Love the photos. Congrats on the surprise arrivals!

Genie
The Inadvertent Gardener

8:32 AM  
Blogger Alice said...

Chances are you will have them in ever increasing numbers from now on. We have them come up in their hundreds each year. There must be several hundred coming up on an old piece of lawn where I dumped last year's plants prior to mulching them. The add wonderful blues to the garden and flower for such a long time.

9:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, what a great surprise to have Larkspur just pop up like that. And it's great looking too.

In my flower garden I usually get a tomato plant or a cucumber vine pop up out of nowhere. It drove me crazy trying to figure out how they got there until I saw a squirrel with a cherry tomato in his mouth running through my yard one day. Aha!

I'd still prefer Larkspur though. :)

10:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So beautiful! Love your photos of Larkspurs & bees. Plant surprises such as your Larkspur are the best. The color variety of them is interesting too.

10:54 AM  
Blogger Carol Michel said...

Your photos are beautiful!

11:08 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Home