Tomato Sauce: Liquid summer sun

Tuesday, August 21, 2007
After months of nurturing -- from the placement of seeds to the careful watering of plants to the fending off of hungry birds and diseases -- it all comes down to this: the sauce. Growing the tomatoes is the most challenging part. Making them into sauce is as easy as pie. (Pizza pie, anyone?)

I begin the process of making tomato sauce by roasting our San Marzano tomatoes. Included are pieces of our homegrown garlic, salt and pepper, and a few drizzles of olive oil.

Once the tomatoes are soft from their baking, I press them gently through the food mill. Their skins and seeds give way, and I'm left with a brilliant red nectar.

To that I add a handful of fragrant, freshly picked herbs: thyme, oregano, and basil. The sauce simmers and thickens and fills my every breath with the essence of summer days.

I ladle the sauce into containers, where it will freeze until summoned to adorn future meals. I find myself stooped over the pot just then, slurping every last drop to its lip-smacking end. A long journey of tomato growing concludes with this soul-filling satisfaction: liquid summer sun at the bottom of a pot. I smile at the thought of having garden-touched meals to warm cooler days ahead.

17 Comments:

Blogger My Chutney Garden said...

What glorious photos! There is something so satisfying about growing your own produce. I'm going to try this recipe even if I didn't grow the tomatoes.
what kind of tomatoes are they? Are they available by seed?
Sharon

9:38 PM  
Blogger Kalyn Denny said...

Homemade sauce is a wonderful thing.

11:42 PM  
Blogger Gardenista said...

This is the most inspirational thing I have read all day! I need to cook something now...

12:04 AM  
Blogger Rowena said...

Oh what an absolutely gorgeous post! You make me wish that I had done the same with the surplus of tomatoes that we received from a friend, but honestly...they were so delicious that we ended up eating them all!

3:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Christa -- beautiful, just beautiful photos. Food looks delicious, too. :-)

7:36 AM  
Blogger Muum said...

yum- my tomatoes are destined for tomato sauce and salsa. Plus of course, fresh eating and sharing w neighbors!

3:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://greatbigvegchallenge.blogspot.com/2007/08/go-on-you-know-you-want-to-make.html

A gift from a fellow blogger..
enjoy - maybe join in if you fancy a laugh!
Charlotte

3:55 PM  
Blogger Christa said...

My Chutney Garden,
These are San Marzano tomatoes, but any plum-type tomato will do. I usually find San Marzano seeds online.

Everyone, thanks for visiting!

5:46 PM  
Blogger My Chutney Garden said...

Thanks Christa, I'll look them up on line.
Sharon

8:31 PM  
Blogger Gotta Garden said...

What a feast for the eyes, as well as the tummy! I always think when I bite into a fresh tomato that I can taste the sunshine, so I adored your description of "liquid summer sun"! So fitting!

8:50 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

OH YUM! Not only delicious but satisfying in a way other sauces can't be because it come ENTIRELY from your hard work. Congratulations on a hard-earned, lovely sauce.

11:41 PM  
Blogger Matron said...

That makes my mouth water! I've found there are so many wonderful recipe ideas on fellow gardeners' blogs. They have to be the best ones, don't they? Well done!

4:05 AM  
Blogger Rosemarie said...

Your sauce looks wonderful!!!!

12:39 PM  
Blogger Catherine said...

Your tomato's are wonderful, and making your own sause is the best!! I will be trying your recipe. What kind of tomatoes were they? they kinda looked like roma tomatoes.. Nice & delicious looking post!

12:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahhh, homemade tomato sauce from home grown tomatoes. I find it hard to think of anything better.

4:37 PM  
Blogger Trenting said...

Love the photos very interesting, I'll have to try the homemade sauce, looks delish!

6:12 PM  
Blogger Nabeela said...

Looks gorgeous!! I made it at home today...will post the pictures on my blog soon. Thanks!

3:16 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Home