Peppers Picked

Wednesday, August 08, 2007
Buran (red), Purple Beauty, and Banana Peppers

Today's 100-degree Fahrenheit heat felt like something only a pepper could love. And they do. This was the colorful collection of capsicums I picked from our garden over the weekend.

Peppers with their charred skins pulled away

With a series of soft crackling and popping noises emanating from our kitchen, I heard the peppers surrendering their skins to the bright blue flames of our stove. The red ones stayed red, while the purple one revealed its inner green soul. All the while, the strong smell of charred peppers transported me imaginatively to someplace else: a kitchen in faraway Mexico perhaps.


We used the charred peppers in a salsa combined with our Brandywine tomatoes and a few of our weep-me-a-waterfall onions. The sweet tomatoes tempered the onions' sharpness and provided mercy for our tear ducts. A balsamic vinaigrette tied everything together, peacefully.

The dazzling sweet summer concoction topped our Sunday-night salmon dinner.

9 Comments:

Blogger Connie said...

Your peppers are beautiful, as is the finished salsa...and I can almost smell the wonderful aroma of roasting peppers! I use Brandywines for salsa, too, because of their sweetness.

9:30 PM  
Blogger Rosengeranium said...

Dang it! Now I'm drooling! And I'm perfectly public in one of Uppsala's most trendy cafeĀ“s...

You are one of my biggest inspirations in the kitchen right now. I can't wait untill I have my gardens running properly so I can make our own delicate dishes.

4:14 AM  
Blogger Muum said...

loverly! thanks for the great pics and pepper tutorial. It looks delish. Oh, I tried the zucchini fritters, used some thyme in the herb mix and had a yummy frittery time. We'll probably have them again!

8:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow - that looks delicious!

10:18 AM  
Blogger Jane O' said...

The salsa looks yummy, I can almost hear the Mariachi Band playing.

2:25 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

Hooray for peppers! What a nice crop!

8:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What an absolutely delightful post...the peppers, the colors, and the salsa on salmon! I swear I could almost smell them roasting over the flames!

6:45 AM  
Blogger joey said...

Oh, yes ... Now that is a delightful seasonal combo. What could be better?

12:31 AM  
Blogger Helene said...

Your peppers are beautiful. I never met purple ones here. We only have green ones staying green all the time. And yummy recipe you share with us.

4:20 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Home