Fresh Basil in a Sweet Corn Frittata

Thursday, June 22, 2006
Our basil plants are loving the hot weather we've been having. And I am loving that they are happy, because they're producing plenty of leaves for us to pick now.


Meanwhile, I've been noticing that sweet corn is starting to make its appearance in the grocery stores, so I decided to try a recipe that marries fresh corn with our new crop of basil. I made this wonderful corn frittata, which calls for a tablespoon of freshly chopped basil leaves.



This was so easy to make; it's a great dish for summer. The basil in this was just fabulous... not to mention the smoked mozzarella. (Why had I never discovered smoked mozzarella before? It is so good. Dangerously good!) And I loved how the sweetness and crispness of the sweet corn made this a bit different than other frittatas I've tried.


The recipe is by Deborah Madison, author of
The Greens Cookbook. I found it in an old issue of Cooking Light magazine.


Fresh Corn Frittata with Smoked Mozzarella
1.5 cups fresh corn kernels (about 3 ears)
1/4 cup shredded smoked mozzarella cheese
1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
5 large egg whites, lightly beaten
2 large eggs, lightly beaten

Preheat broiler. Coat a medium pan with cooking spray. Add corn and saute for 5 minutes. Combine corn, 2 tablespoons cheese, basil, and the remaining ingredients in a bowl and stir. Heat a skillet over medium heat. Coat pan with cooking spray; add the corn mixture. Cover and cook 5 minutes or until almost set. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons cheese. Wrap handle of pan with foil. Broil for 5 minutes or until set and browned. Makes 4 servings.

8 Comments:

Blogger raine studios said...

I was casting around just last night for a recipe that I could use some of my fresh herbs with. I'm going to try this this weekend!

8:43 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Looks delicious - definitely one for my saved summer recipes.

Really enjoying your blog.

5:48 PM  
Blogger Sigruns German Garden said...

This meail looks very good! Delicious!

Sigrun

12:44 AM  
Blogger Christa said...

Thanks, all. I hope you enjoy trying the recipe. One thing I forgot to mention in my post: Make sure to use a small skillet -- rather than a large one -- to bake this in, otherwise it will come out too thin. I used an 8 inch fry pan, and that worked out great.

10:43 PM  
Blogger Gabriel, Christina & Sofia said...

Christa,

Where do you find smoked mozzarella? Thanks! This looks great.

10:10 AM  
Blogger Christa said...

I found smoked mozzarella at my local grocery store. You may also try a place like Whole Foods, or a specialty shop such as Balducci's.

6:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is taken directly from a Deborah Madison recipe that appeared in Cooking Light over one year ago. Very good and easy, but she should be credited for the recipe.

9:41 PM  
Blogger Christa said...

Yes, anonymous, it is Deborah Madison's recipe; if you read the paragraph above the recipe, you will see that I gave full credit to her - including a mention of her book and the fact that this recipe was published in Cooking Light, where I found it. I would never even think about *not* giving credit to someone for their recipe. This was not my own; I posted about my personal experience trying out her recipe.

10:53 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Home