My Mystery Plant

Saturday, April 21, 2007
Seed starting is generally a straightforward procedure. Scoop soil into a pot. Read the seed packet to find out how deep the seeds should go. Plant the seeds. Add water. Set the pot under grow lights. Then wait.

Things slipped off the path of ordinary routine the other day when, with seed pot as scoop, I reached into the bag of soil and...

"OH, WHAT'S THAT?!!" I exclaimed.

"What's what?" Michael asked from the dining room.

"There's something growing in our bag of potting soil," I said, as I cautiously held up the spindly specimen of an very pallid, unknown-to-me plant.

"What is it?" he asked, now stretching over to look at what I was up to in the kitchen.

"I have no idea," I said, with a shrug of my shoulders.

Then, after a brief moment of silence and wonderment, the corners of a smile turned up on my face.

"You want to plant it and find out what it is, don't you" he said.

I nodded a slow and deliberate nod in the affirmative.

Of course I want to find out what it is. This plant was somehow able to grow, completely in the dark, in a tightly closed-up bag of several-months-old potting soil. With no water. It really wants to grow, whatever it is. Our guess is that it's some type of melon.

We shall see.

5 Comments:

Blogger Yolanda Elizabet Heuzen said...

Ahhh, I love a mystery, can't wait to find out what plant it is!

2:20 PM  
Blogger kate said...

This will be interesting ... it is amazing that it could have survived in a bag of soil without any light.

11:39 AM  
Blogger Petunia's Gardener said...

Love it! I dug one like that up in the garden yesterday. Either squash or sunflower, I thought. But, then, there are so many volunteers & undesirables popping up in the garden, I didn't keep it. Can't wait to see what it will be.

2:02 PM  
Blogger CD and SP said...

it's pretty and spindly and looks happy to be alive!

8:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

have you found out what your mystery plant is?
if it is a melon, then putting the strawberries and melons together will make a great fruit salad!!
Joyce

8:42 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Home