Aches & Pains, Garden Gains

Monday, April 23, 2007

My body aches from all the gardening I did over the weekend. Among other tasks, I:
  • Dug up Black-Eyed Susans and moved them to a sunnier spot;
  • Tamed the not-so-obedient Obedient Plant;
  • Hauled two wheelbarrows full of wood chips and shoveled them onto the pathways in and in front of the plot;
  • Planted the dahlia tubers;
  • Transplanted seedlings of snapdragons, lobelia, and monarda;
  • Lifted (well, dragged) three bags of organic soil conditioner onto the bed where the tomatoes will be planted;
  • Turned soil, weeded, clipped, raked and watered.
Whew! I'm tired! My muscles feel stiff and sore from lifting and stretching in ways I haven't lifted nor stretched in months. But as I resume the weekday's inactive sit-at-the-computer stance, the aches and pains remind me that I put my body to good use, I worked hard, and a good looking garden is taking shape.

6 Comments:

Blogger gardenmomma (Chris) said...

Oh!!!! It sounds like a GOOD HURT! I've just started a new job and have spent the last week in front of a computer. My neck & head hurts (NOT a GOOD hurt!). When I get home I walk and talk with my plants and give them a little drink. I have managed to pull a whole wheelbarrow of weeds! Great therapy!

10:08 PM  
Blogger Carol Michel said...

I agree, it's a good kind of tiredness after working a day in the garden. Makes me sleep better!

11:08 PM  
Blogger Anita said...

I worked in the garden all week-end long, too. All our work will be rewarded very soon - with a wonderful garden and delicious vegetables! ;-))

2:20 AM  
Blogger Anthony said...

I hauled about 15 yards of mulch this weekend. It hurts even when I smile. But I'm smiling because the yard looks great. :) Ouch.

3:55 PM  
Blogger David (Snappy) said...

When it is all growing on, and the flowers are blooming, and tomatos are ready for eating all those aches will dissapear.You have been very productive.Have a rest now to enjoy whats growing, and to mentally plan the next assault.I love gardening.I dont think i ever want a finished garden, always one in a fluid dynamic state.There is always something to do :) I am vicariously enjoying your gardening untill i get my own again!

4:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The aches and pains are definitely making the rounds! It is immediate gratification when working in the garden. What is better than that!

6:05 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Home