Sweet Pepper Crostini

Thursday, September 06, 2007
The garden is gifting me these brilliant jewels: sweet peppers in a showy display of shapes and colors.


My inspiration for a way to cook them came at a place and time when I least expected it. I was waiting with goosebumps in an overly air-conditioned doctor's office one day, with thoughts of the sweltering summer garden farthest from my mind. Thumbing through a well-worn edition of Gourmet magazine, I came across a recipe that combined diced chicken and bell peppers with cumin and thyme, the final mixture stacked on a pool of chickpea hummus. The marriage of sweet peppers with smoky cumin piqued my curiosity, and then and there I etched a note in my mind: If peppers from the garden start piling up in abundance, try cooking them with cumin.

And so it was with this invention of mine. I sliced the peppers and combined them with a few generous dashes of ground cumin, a little olive oil, and one minced clove of fresh garlic. No more than ten minutes under the broiler and there I had a rainbow of wonderfully fragrant pepper ribbons, still slightly crisp to the bite.

On toasted slices of a baguette, I added a dollop of room-temperature hummus and my Crayola-colored combination of cooled-down peppers. A few dashes of paprika and olive oil gave my crostini appetizers their final flourish.

They were crisp, creamy, and sweet all at once. A small feast for the eyes and stomach of a gardener who worked hard to grow the star ingredient.

20 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That sounds absolutely delicious!

12:51 AM  
Blogger Whyite said...

Those look so good! They wouldn't last long at my house.

1:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the colors of the fresh peppers.
This looks so good, that now I'm hungry for crostini.

2:00 AM  
Blogger Tira said...

Mmmm that looks really delicious! I am starting my sweet pepper seedlings at month's end. (Our best veggie growing season is Oct-May.)

9:09 AM  
Blogger Tracey said...

gorgeous! great idea for peppers . . . your recipe posts make my stomach growl.

9:23 AM  
Blogger Rosemarie said...

You've definitely inspired me to plant peppers next year (I did my first garden this year with tomatoes only - I'm ready to graduate to peppers!)

2:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

GORGEOUS. You are an artist.

3:13 PM  
Blogger Matron said...

Sshhhlluuuuuurrrrpp!!! That makes my mouth water!

4:44 PM  
Blogger Muum said...

mmm! I think I'll try this, I do have a few peppers to mess with, although I just posted on the somewhat melancholy end of season results of my pepper gardening efforts.

6:45 PM  
Blogger Rowena said...

Again, such a beautiful post/recipe that makes superb use of color and the bounty in your garden! Haven't made hummus in awhile...delicious!

8:08 PM  
Blogger Catherine said...

Sounds & looks DELICIOUS!!
The peppers are like beautiful jelwes!!

And love the butterfly pic's in your earlier post!!

10:23 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

I have not had the luck with sweet peppers that you've had: I need some advice. What are your favorite varieties to grow AND to eat? Inquiring minds want to know.

Also, the combination of lemony-earthy cumin with sweet roasted peppers sounds divine. I will definitely be trying this recipe. Thanks, as always, for the inspiration.

1:30 PM  
Blogger Aiyana said...

Looks great. I'll have to try it sometime. We usually use peppers strictly for stuffing, but maybe it's time to expand my pepper horizons.
Aiyana

1:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your photos are just stunning! Do you do anything special in terms of lighting when you photograph food? How goes the house buying? Have you moved yet? Nosy readers want to know!

10:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautifully done - makes me wish there was still time to plant peppers!

1:25 PM  
Blogger daringtowrite said...

These sound and look delicious. What a wonderful description and great photos. Can I assume you are making a good living writing for food magazines? Seems a fair assumption to me given your flair!

I'll check out my assumption next time when I have a bit more time for a longer visit.

3:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That looks bloody lovely!

3:24 PM  
Blogger kate said...

It looks as if you had a bountiful pepper crop this year. Peppers and cumin - I would like to try that combination.

12:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah! My mouth is watering

11:29 AM  
Blogger Wicked Gardener said...

Those look yummy!

1:36 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Home