Carrots for Breakfast

Tuesday, May 01, 2007

On Saturday I pulled a bunch of my fall-sown carrots. I gave a handful to my plot neighbor, Elana, who was kneeling down to the ground, busily pulling out foot-high weeds by the armful. She seemed grateful to receive something from the garden that was not... weeds.

The rest I took home with me, with the intention of making carrot muffins for Sunday morning breakfast. All cleaned up and shredded, the carrots made the colorful foundation for Ellie Krieger's Carrot Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting. Nix the frosting, and they would become muffins.


I followed her recipe almost exactly and added raisins, more spices, and bits of diced fresh pineapple. We loved these muffins because they weren't too sweet; they made a wonderful treat for breakfast. And they were even better later in the day when all the goodies had time to settle in and mingle with one another. I would only add more spices next time. I can never have too much cinnamon in a carrot cake.

8 Comments:

Blogger Marc said...

Those muffins look delightful! I am impressed that you have carrots to harvest.

I never thought I could plant fall carrots for late winter/spring harvest. This winter I found some carrots accidentally left in the garden which showed me that it was possible.

Now after seeing your delicious looking carrots, I will definitely try planting them again in the fall!

12:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Delicious !! I'm sowing carrotts in a tub at the moment as the garden is just not big enough for everything !

2:13 PM  
Blogger Kylee Baumle said...

I would have thought the carrots would rot over the winter! Maybe I'll sow carrots this fall since I'm running out of room to plant things this year.

8:05 PM  
Blogger Christa said...

It was completely by accident that I discovered carrots survive the winter here. I had left some in the ground at the end of the summer a couple years ago (thinking they would rot), but then they made it through the winter and started growing again in the spring! The ground is perfect storage for them. I think our winters are mild enough here to let me have carrots in the garden year-round. Fall-sown carrots are said to be sweeter than spring-sown ones, because they start storing up more nutrients as the daylight hours get shorter.

9:47 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

Great recipe--I can't wait to try it. The pineapple is the winning element--it's what I add to my carrot cake, and now I'm looking forward to trying your muffins. I do believe that what we call "winter carrots" out here are sweeter than other carrots. The best carrots I get are always in the late winter, early spring.

11:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So you sowed them when?? August/Sept?? How much growth do they need to put on before winter.
If they survive your winter they'll easily cope with ours (but we probably get more rain so chances of rot are higher maybe).

6:03 AM  
Blogger TYRA Hallsénius Lindhe said...

Wow Those muffins looks delicious! I also think the carrots looks great. I´ve never planted carrots in the fall but I´m sure going to try that this year.

2:57 PM  
Blogger Christa said...

I sowed these in mid to late August. They grew to about four inches or so -- some were smaller. The leaves die back when the weather gets cold. They'll look really dead, but just leave them in the ground. In the spring they come to life and start growing again. When I'm sowing seeds for my spring vegetables, it's great to have something that's already there to harvest.

8:56 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Home