October Harvest

Sunday, October 22, 2006
These beautiful gems awaited us in the garden when we returned from our trip. There were tomatoes, peppers (poblano and jalapeño), and a handful of baby squashettes.

Sadly for us tomato lovers, a few of the Beefsteaks and Brandywines took a tragic plunge to their deaths while we were out of town. There I found them, lying silently upon their shadowy grave, blood-red pools of withered, putrid flesh -- ghosts of tomato-sandwich dreams unfulfilled. (Yes, I'm getting into the Halloween spirit, can you tell?)


The good tomatoes, still rich with the flavor of late summer days, made their way into a fresh, Guapo's-inspired salsa. So did one of those jalapeño peppers -- a brave move on my part, after the little mishap I had with one of those fiery little buggers back in September.


The tomato salsa made a vibrant accompaniment to the chicken and black bean empanadas I cooked for dinner. The empanadas were flavored with our garden-fresh oregano and garlic, accented with onions, cumin, and few careful shakes of cayenne pepper. Fantastically delicious!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Christa,
Welcome back - great harvest, amazing how some things get on fine if we let just get on with it!

11:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those empanadas look so good! What do you use for the crust?
Wish I had planted peppers, yours are so pretty.

4:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Christa! Thanks for the link to the empanada recipe. The reviews sounded fabulous. I can't wait to try it. I can't buy puff pastry here in Honduras, but I'll figure something out.

You know what? Your picture was much prettier than the one on the Food Network site!

3:01 AM  
Blogger Endment said...

Wonderful harvest photo!!!
We came back to discover many of our tomatoes and all our basil had also bit the dust... Our lettuce is delighting in the cool (cold) weather.

I have just enjoyed wandering through your blog... Thanks for wonderful recipies - will try one tonight

7:46 AM  
Blogger KT121 said...

Hi Christa.Thanks for visiting my blog.
I've just gone through your blog with great interest...and this looks so delicious!

5:57 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Home