On Vacation

Sunday, September 24, 2006

I am experiencing a serious case of Reisefieber (travel fever) today, as I am about to embark on a much-anticipated vacation. I'll be away for a few weeks, and I won't be blogging at all during that time. I won't have Internet access, and that's actually a good thing. Traveling, for me, is all about breaking away from the routine and soaking up everything that is new and different.

While I'm away, the garden will continue to settle into its rhythm for the cooler months. In the ground right now, my fall plantings are coming along fairly well. I have French breakfast radishes and a two rows of healthy-looking carrots.


I planted some Red Russian Kale for the first time. I like its purple stems and the interesting shape of its leaves.


This is also the first time I've planted arugula. I'll have to get out to the plot today and pick some, since I know it will probably be too big (and too bitter) by the time I get back.


Also in the ground, I have Purple Top White Globe Turnips. These I like to grow because they are just so beautiful. I wasn't crazy about their taste when I tried them last year, but I think that's only because I hadn't found a good way to prepare them. But I am willing to give them another try. (Hint, hint: Please tell me about your favorite turnip recipes!)

I also have a few red onions that were given to us by our friend Juan, and white ones from our plot neighbor, Albertino.

In the herbs category, I have a fresh crop of dill. And yesterday I harvested another handful of sage. Both will make great additions to steaming bowls of hot soup on chilly days.


And then there are the strugglers: Bok choy with a lot of ants on it at the moment...

And a gigantic Brussels sprouts plant that is really having a difficult time setting out sprouts.


So there they are, my cool-season crops. I predict one of two things will happen while I'm away: They will grow like crazy and I'll have a cornucopia of things to harvest when I get back, or it will have been too hot, too cold, or too wet/dry and there won't be much at all -- except weeds. I predict lots of weeds in any case.

Please visit again for all the updates. I'll be landing back in the blogosphere sometime on or around October 22. Until then... Ciao!

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Couldn't you move them before they hatch? Take them out to the woods away from human habitation?

10:36 AM  
Blogger Silvia Hoefnagels . Salix Tree said...

Lovely veggie garden!
Hope you have a nice holiday, and hope your garden is not too overgrown when you return! My runner beans grew like mad in the two weeks I was gone, we've been eating hanfulls ever since!

10:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bummer, I always look foward to your posts! Well, have fun on your trip anyways!

10:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have a wonderful and restful trip, Christa! Looking forward to reading more when you return.

Genie
The Inadvertent Gardener

7:54 PM  
Blogger Loretta said...

Have a great vacation! Hope somone is watering your plants while you are gone!

2:53 PM  
Blogger David (Snappy) said...

Have a nice vacation.Whatever will be will be.Nice selection of things growing.Im impressed!

6:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Take care and have a good time.

My Brussels are doing the same as yours - all leaf and no buttons! Hope they crop as we love them.

5:24 AM  
Blogger JMom said...

Have a lovely vacation, Christa! I tried your purple basil syrup recipe, it's delicious and pretty :) Visit my blog when you return.

Have you ever tried sauteeing the turnip greens in just olive oil and garlic? My kids even like them this way.

What's up with them brussel sprouts? Ours is doing the same thing. I'm tempted to start cooking the leaves like greens :)

1:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your garden is always a wonderful garden to visit. Enjoy travelling--will look forward to the new gardens you have discovered while away. It's great to separate from the garden now & then. Ciao!

8:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have a great vacation. Your fall crop looks great.

12:09 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Home