Figs

Friday, September 15, 2006

These are a few of the figs I picked from the trees at the community garden. I've been collecting a handful every couple of days and letting them sit on our countertop to ripen. I've been trying to collect enough to make some kind of recipe -- maybe a cake, a salad, or jam. I would like to bake a few and try them with gorgonzola cheese or prosciutto, but I don't think I'm ever going to get that far. I keep eating them all -- just plain! It's like having a plateful of candy staring at me everytime I step into the kitchen. Oh, I'll take just one. And then one more. And before you know it, they're gone again. Too good to resist.

4 Comments:

Blogger Annie in Austin said...

Although we have two small trees, there are no figs this year - I'm glad someone is enjoying a crop of the little sweeties!

5:05 PM  
Blogger Kalyn Denny said...

You're so lucky. Fresh figs are really hard to get here.

8:39 PM  
Blogger Naturegirl said...

mmm figs are wonderful with stilton cheese melted on!!

8:02 AM  
Blogger Christa said...

Hi, Idaho Gardener,

These are Brown Turkey figs. When fully ripe, they turn to a beautiful, deep reddish-brown color. They are the type that is most commonly grown in the mid-Atlantic region.

I have seen several homes in D.C. with fig trees in their yards. They grow very well in this area, I think because our winters are not extremely cold.

The figs in my photo were picked from the trees in the common area of the community garden where I have my plot. They are available for the public to enjoy -- quite literally, anyone can walk by and pick some. We are very fortunate to have those trees. The figs are a real treat!

10:49 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Home