Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day: December

Saturday, December 15, 2007

Icy weather is in the forecast for our area today. I am crossing my fingers in hope that some of it will come in the form of snow. This gardener relishes the occasion to swap out the muddy shoes for a pair of cozy slippers, pull on a puffy woolen sweater, and wrap clean hands around a piping hot cup of cocoa. Time to curl up inside.

Just a week away from the official start of winter, we're at another edition of Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day. All of us gardeners in cold places are looking at our houseplants with a new found appreciation. Yes, there is something blooming in December.

I have my real estate agent to thank for the brilliant red poinsettia in the top photo. It was a thoughtful gift he brought to brighten our first Christmas in our new home.

I know I need to really enjoy this plant while it lasts, because once it fades, it's off to the compost heap it goes. The month-by-month instructions on how to get a poinsettia to re-bloom are a bit daunting to me. More trouble than it's worth. Thank goodness we have garden centers for these.


My African Violet is the Energizer Bunny of plants. This one (well, it has multiplied into two plants now) has been blooming since September. It just keeps going and going. I do nothing more than water it once a week and it remains perfectly content. If someone were to ask what I recommend for a long-blooming houseplant, an African Violet would be at the top of my list.


Buds count for Bloom Day too, don't they? This Kalanchoe plant that my mom gave me last Easter is setting up new buds again. I won't reveal the color of the flowers just yet. They might be the only blooms I'll have to show in January. If I even notice them in January, that is. My face will be planted in all the new seed catalogs then, my feet still cozy in slippers.

15 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful poinsettia photo. I have found kalanchoe to be equally difficult to get to bloom the following year. But you seem to be doing well with yours!

Melinda, Elements In Time

12:27 PM  
Blogger Matron said...

What a lovely photo! I have seen huge poinsettia trees on the Island of Madeira. Actually I'm flying there for a well-earned short break next week. Much warmer than it is here in London - well below zero! brrr

12:47 PM  
Blogger Carol Michel said...

Of course buds count! We northern gardeners have to count anything even close to a bud these days. While the weather outside is 'frightful', having blooms indoors makes it so much better all the way around.

Carol, May Dreams Gardens

3:39 PM  
Blogger Robin's Nesting Place said...

Pretty poinsettia picture. I forgot to post my Kalanchoe bloom.

6:10 PM  
Blogger Whyite said...

I can get Poinsettias to bloom tho not as pretty, in January the next year. But Kalanchoe plants(I had when I was a kid) didn't bloom at all for me.

8:29 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

OK yum! Of course I scrolled right past your bloom day post to the cookies below. Sorry, inconsiderate I know. The poinsettia is a beautiful photo. But back to the cookies. They're on my list to try!

11:29 PM  
Blogger Mark said...

Hope the hot chocolate and the slippers do the trick. I'm going to give your hazelnut cookies a go , as I have collected loads of nuts and was looking for something to do with them.The cookies sound like the ideal thing, I'll let you know how I get on.

Cheers Mark

9:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gardener’s Anonymous
The picture of your poinsettia is beautiful.
I usually buy red cyclamen around Christmas time for all my indoor pots and window boxes and then I transpant them somewhere in my garden in spring.

The African violet is a great bloomer. Your's is lovely.
It looks like two different plants.

6:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My Heather plants are my favorite this time of year. They start blooming between Halloween and Thanksgiving and last well into January and beyond. They're right by my front walk. The sight of flowers blooming outside on a cold winter day always brings a smile to my face.

9:25 PM  
Blogger Rowena said...

Thank you so much for posting that helpful link on caring for poinsettias after xmas. I think I'll have a go at it because I just don't have the heart to toss out the 6 plants that we have now.

Happy Holidays!

4:58 AM  
Blogger Muum said...

love the African violet! The color is wonderful. I am glad to have mine blooming this time of year, too.

7:59 AM  
Blogger Shady Gardener said...

I tried keeping a poinsettia once. I put it in a dark closet for a month... it didn't work, so I agree with buying a new one. ;-)

Your african violet is great. My mom starts many new plants from a leaf!

Today I'm inviting many friends for an afternoon Christmas open house/get together! :-)

10:49 AM  
Blogger joey said...

Wishing you a very 'Merry Christmas' in your new home!

8:42 PM  
Blogger DianeSchuller.com said...

Christa, nice photos. I agree entirely about trying to get those pointsettias to bloom again. I just compost mine in the spring and then buy another the next winter. I've always loved African violets -- they're so reliable. I see a lot of people really like the Kalanchoe plant. I've never been fond of it but I have to tell you something: your photo of it with the buds is a great photo! But ... I still don't like them :-D

I participated in GBBD for the first time.

Diane, Sand to Glass

1:52 PM  
Blogger Christa said...

I didn't realize kalanchoe could be difficult to get to bloom. My success with it has been pure dumb luck, I think. I've often neglected this plant for weeks at a time between waterings. It must like dry soil. :-)

Thank you, all, for visiting!

9:17 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Home