Bulbs 50% off, just past the light-up reindeer

Sunday, November 25, 2007
So we were cruising the aisles of Home Depot today. Winter weatherizing and a few other home improvement items were on the brain. Christmas, meanwhile, was being pushed at us at every turn, whether we liked it or not. Could they crank up the carols any louder?

I found respite in the garden center, however, when I came across a bin marked with a hastily handwritten sign: Spring Bulbs 50% Off. How could I avoid the temptation of 50% off? And especially now that my resistance was down, having just passed a display of hideous light-up and inflatable lawn ornaments stacked high to the ceiling. I couldn't. I didn't.

I picked my way through the dregs at the bottom of the bin and came up with one bag of 'Remembrance' crocus bulbs and one bag of muscari (grape hyacinth). The tulips tempted me, but I knew they wouldn't stand a chance against the squirrels. (Notice I wrote squirrels, plural, since the little buggers come in multiples now.)

I don't know if these bulbs are squirrel-proof, but at half price, here's to trying. I planted most of them under one of the trees in our backyard, and I put a few next to the azaleas out front.

9 Comments:

Blogger Carol Michel said...

Yep, never hurts to try, especially at 50% off. You did those bulbs a favor by buying them!

8:31 PM  
Blogger Diana said...

Actually squirrels eat crocus (croci?) like peanuts, but you might have a few left and they'll be so pretty!

If the squirrels really are a problem, tack down some wire mesh over the planting area (so they can't dig) or sprinkle some moth-ball crystals. They should last until winter really sets in, and by that time the squirrels will have forgotten that you planted a delectable repast.... Good luck!

(it's just like us gardeners to be already thinking about spring when winter's not even really here yet!) -laugh-

8:36 PM  
Blogger Shady Gardener said...

Oh, I'm jealous! I've just ordered bulbs from a catalog. Paid for a 2-day rush. Hope they get here tomorrow!!! :-)

9:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't pass up a 50 percent off bag of bulbs either.
Have fun planting them. I hope the squirrels leave them alone.

1:34 AM  
Blogger Tracey said...

Score! A fun find . . .

9:34 AM  
Blogger Muum said...

Sounds like a deal. Watch out with the muscari,though, mine are exploding in my garden bed, I am glad they are contained there. I have some half price hyacinths I am going to pot up and force for mid winter gifts. yeah for deals!

4:57 PM  
Blogger Rowena said...

I noticed the plural on squirrel at first glance. The rotten little buggers!! I went nuts and bought a bunch of half off bulbs last month -- better get to work and stick'em the ground this weekend!

9:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I routinely patrol the nurseries around this time of year to find discounted bulbs. It's surprising how many of them succeed even this late. For tulips, I plant them in large pots and put the grill part of our old Weber grill over them to keep varmints out. The pots help me keep them away from deer. Of course, one must remember to remove the grill before the new growth gets too high in the spring (guess how I learned that??!!)

3:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, this is a great find. Thanks for the info.

11:46 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Home