Green Thumb Sunday: Water Seeker

Sunday, November 04, 2007
Cyperus involucratus

Nearly two years ago, my brother gave us a few clippings of his papyrus plant. He grows it in a pot that he places outside in his water lily pond during the summer. During the blustery Zone 6 winters, he brings it back inside.

Our papyrus -- or umbrella plant, as it's also called -- eked out its living in our dimly lit apartment for two years. Now it loves its newfound home in the bright sun of our backyard. This is how it looked in the early morning light after a recent night of heavy rain. Fresh. Alive. Much more content for a plant that originates from the wetlands.

The stems of this plant grow to about two or three feet tall and then bend over to find water in which to root. We have our potted papyrus inside now and are trying to get a few more young plants started from cuttings.


Gardeners, plant and nature lovers share their photos on Green Thumb Sunday. See who else is participating.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your plant looks very happy in it's new home.

10:23 AM  
Blogger Aiyana said...

I had one of these earlier this year. It couldn't take our summer heat. Not enough humidity either. Yours looks lovely. Happy GTS,
Aiyana

11:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It does look like it's at the water hole drinking water :-)

1:15 PM  
Blogger Priscilla George said...

What a unique plant. I'll have to find one someday.

2:21 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Awesome Plant. :) Thanks for sharing.
Happy GTS,
~Sarah

4:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So pretty! I've never heard of this type of plant, but it sounds fascinating.

6:52 PM  
Blogger Muum said...

Nice! I had no idea that is how they grew and reproduced. I had a papyrus plant a few years ago, we used it as part of wedding reception decor. I'll have to get another one!

9:54 PM  
Blogger Sarah O. said...

Papyrus is also an excellent source of greens for picky cats. My own has given it a nice short trim since we brought it inside for the winter. She leaves the trimmings in convenient hairball-shaped deposits in all the heavy traffic areas (to make the clean-up easier, obvs). :)

9:18 AM  
Blogger Connie said...

I have never seen this plant...a very interesting one! Thanks for posting.

1:33 PM  
Blogger kate smudges said...

Hi Christa,

It was fun reading this post, since I have had my papyrus plants soaking in the kitchen sink. I put them in the pond in the spring.

I imagine you are very much enjoying your new place!

3:21 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Home