Warning: Delicious tomato sauce ahead!

Tuesday, August 08, 2006

The San Marzano tomatoes that were sitting on our kitchen counter the other day have since been cooked into a delectable sauce, made by my wonderful husband. He loves to cook, and the first tomato harvest represents his favorite moment in the gardening season. While we enjoy the slices of Brandywines and Beefsteaks on our sandwiches, the San Marzanos are reserved almost exclusively for sauce. Michael loves to make homemade tomato sauce. (Lucky me, right?)

First, he bakes the tomatoes with a few slices of our fresh garlic, a good drizzle of olive oil, and some dashes of salt and pepper. Once the tomatoes are baked, they get a good grinding through the food mill.


Then he adds some of our fresh herbs -- a few sprigs of thyme in this case -- and lets the sauce simmer on the stove.


Meanwhile, our stomachs are grumbling because it smells so good!


He satisfies the hunger pangs with an eggplant au gratin that includes the fresh sauce, thin slices of eggplant, lots of onions and garlic, and a crisp-chewy topping of Parmesan cheese and bread crumbs.

Totally delicious, completely satisfying. I can't ask for anything more.

9 Comments:

Blogger Kalyn Denny said...

You're a lucky woman.

3:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow...that looks divine. I love the eggplant idea...might have to try that before the season is out.

Genie
The Inadvertent Gardener

4:03 PM  
Blogger Ruth Daniels said...

Kalyn's right - you're a lucky woman. It does sound divine.

I have mixed emotions about the tomato harvest. I love the sauces and eating them sliced with just a dash of rice wine vinegar, some basil chiffonade and salt & pepper. But tomatoes mean summer's turned the corner which means no more really juicy, tasty fruit.

Thanks for sharing

10:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You better believe it! Sounds sooo good!

7:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

YUM!!! I am going to have to plant some of those tomatoes for sauce next year, I have heard other bloggers really like them for that purpose also!

11:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yum! I love homemade tomato sauce!

Paz

7:11 AM  
Blogger Stunned Donor said...

I want some eggplant parm, I just don't want to fire up the oven. The sauce looks great.

9:31 AM  
Blogger Christa said...

Thanks, Idaho Gardener. My camera is a Nikon D50.

11:26 AM  
Blogger JMom said...

oh yummy! I love tomatoes and eggplants. What an excellent combination :)

12:23 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Home