A Squash is Born

Wednesday, August 02, 2006

"Oh, my goodness! It's a baby squash!"

Those were the words I squealed (yes, I squealed) when I pulled back the leaves of my lonely squash plant yesterday. I couldn't believe my eyes. I had gone to the garden to take a closer look at the squash flowers and see if I had any females yet. I was on a quest to determine whether I needed to make a few introductions and instigate some pollination action. But it turns out that all I needed to do was be patient. The bees had been doing their job, the squash flowers were feeling happy, and now... I've got a tiny baby squash that's not much wider than a penny. It's so cute!

My first homegrown squash. I feel like a proud parent.

3 Comments:

Blogger Christa said...

OH, NO!! I can't believe it. Here I was so excited and everything. Now I have to get out to the plot tomorrow and see if the dang thing fell off. I was so sure it was the real deal. Oh, well. On the positive side of this, I am certainly learning a lot about squash! Stay tuned...

7:20 PM  
Blogger Joanna said...

I live in Houston TX now. The fruit is not setting on for my squash, melons or tomatoes.

I never had this problem in Oregon. I used to plunk in the plant & watch it go wild. More squash & tomatoes than I could handle.

Is it the plants? the soil? climate? or lack of bees? fungus?

So what do i do?

11:52 AM  
Blogger Joanna said...

I've never had this problem in Oregon. I am in Houston TX now & all the blossoms just fall off. Do i really have to go pollinate each blossom? My tomatoes are doing the same thing.

So much for the victory garden. Is it the plants, the lack of bees or the soil here?

???

11:53 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Home