Pink Flamingo Sightings

Friday, July 28, 2006

This photo is for Snappy over in the U.K., who recently commented about the kitschiest of all kitschy garden ornaments -- The Great American Plastic Pink Flamingo. Yes folks, even in the community garden, right here in the nation's capital, we have a pair of Phoenicopterus plasticus perched proudly on the fences for everyone to enjoy (or get annoyed by).

Would I put pink flamingos in my garden? No. Never. They're too tacky and plasticky for my taste. But I have to admit, when I see them in other people's gardens or lawns, they make me smile. Their sheer absurdness amuses me I guess. (But please, people, keep them on your own side of the fence.)


As Snappy pointed out, the history of these birds is quite interesting. Everything you never thought you wanted to know about pink flamingo ornaments can be found at this site... called Useless Information. Did you know that the authentic pink flamingos have the artist's signature under their tails and they are always sold in pairs?

So now, if you really want to get a pair of these for your garden (and why would you?), you can find them on Amazon , where previous suckers purchasers gave them a solid five-star rating. But you should really go here, where you can get them for the rock-bottom price of only $11.75.

But wait! There's more!

Cough up a few extra bucks and you can get yourself the Pink Flamingo Holiday Wreath with Sock Monkey. (Huh? Is this for real? That's the tackiest thing I've ever seen!)

And if you're really into it, why not go all out and embarrass your friends with a Pink Flamingo Party Pak?

What is this world coming to? *Sigh*

Well, we mustn't get too attached to our pink flamingo ornaments because this is what will happen when the bird flu hits.


Photo by AustinTX

I know, that was terrible, but I couldn't resist.

(P.S. A note to any of my family members who are reading this: Please, please, don't send me any pink flamingo stuff for Christmas. Definitely not the wreath.)

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Christa,
"you done spoiled your surprise for your birthday and Christmas presents!"
joyce

1:04 PM  
Blogger Ali said...

Wow, that takes me back to my college days, when in the summer, I was a Girl Scout camp counselor (Camp Pondicherry, Bridgton, ME), and my secret buddy gave me a pair of the original Don Featherstone flamingos for my tent's front lawn.

The did tend to travel, those flamingos, they were even up the flagpole one morning!

Ali

1:52 PM  
Blogger David (Snappy) said...

They are Fun, and the guy who made them was a penniless artist who needed the bucks.Apparently he made ducks but the flamingo's immortalised him.
I am still searching for an original pair.They are going for £20 on Ebay...

7:44 PM  
Blogger WashingtonGardener said...

I have two big and one mini flamingos that my little nieghbor (3 years old) says 'hello' to every day. Apparently, they are "mommy, daddy, and baby" - if it brings happiness to a child, you certainly can't knocl 'em. We need more flamingo-accented yards in this world!

4:53 PM  
Blogger Myrtle Luma said...

When I go back to visit my grandmother,(Long Island, NY),I am always amazed at the enduring popularity of the plastic, pink flamingo. Next time I go, I will make sure I have my camera.

I was bitterly disappointed to find out that the flamingo/sock monkey wreath was no longer available . . .

7:09 PM  
Blogger Black Eyed Susan said...

Oh no, now I really want one. Maybe for winter when the whole community garden looks so sad.

3:57 PM  
Blogger Farmgirl Susan said...

LOLOLOLOL! The whole post was super, but that last photo was an absolute riot.

1:33 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Home