The Beginnings of My Fall Garden

Friday, August 25, 2006

My fall garden is coming along, slowly but surely. So far, the carrots have come up, along with the beets, dill, onions, bok choy, and a few lettuces. Also in the ground, I have kale, spinach, radishes, and two struggling Brussels sprouts. The turnips have started to emerge as well (and it looks as if the bugs have already conducted a taste test).


The greatest challenge (in addition to the bugs) is keeping the seedlings moist enough to get off to a good start. The ground is so dry and crumbly right now, it's amazing that anything can grow. I can't remember the last time we had rain.


This evening, as I walked home from the garden, I was serenaded by a chorus of cicadas -- a sure sign that summer is nearing its end. On one stretch of the walk, their buzzing screech rose to such a high pitch that it was almost deafening for a moment. I thought to myself: They must all be screaming for rain! Every living thing, it seems, is hoping for rain.

2 Comments:

Blogger David (Snappy) said...

Sounds yummy the fall garden.I hope they are not eaten by the bugs before you taste them..

3:51 PM  
Blogger Petunia's Gardener said...

Oh, I miss the cicadas this time of year. They don't live in western WA (nor do fireflies, or June bugs for that matter). Time for a trip back to the midwest, if it wasn't so darn hot. Hope their song works for rain. I didn't think about carrots for the fall. I have little lettuce, spinich and pea seedlings. Thanks for visiting PG, too.

12:29 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Home