Tomato planting is on schedule

Sunday, February 26, 2006
Today I wanted to go to the garden and take some photos, but I changed my mind once I felt the ferocious wind. It was only 33 degrees out there. In the few pauses between breezes, however, I could feel a confident intensity in the sun. Spring definitely wants to break through.

Inside yesterday, we started a few more seeds. I planted snapdragons, lobelia, calendula and sage. Michael started his tomatoes, using a very meticulous procedure. He first poured the seeds onto a piece of paper and selected the plumpest specimens with a tweezer. Then he put them in water to see if they would sink. (Apparently, if tomato seeds float, it means they are hollow and won't germinate well, if at all.) He planted two kinds: San Marzano and Brandywine.



Michael created this color-coded schedule for the things he wants to plant this year. This is hanging on our refrigerator.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Home