Pass-alongs and stowaways

Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Today I discovered two little stowaways in the potted rose bush my parents sent along with me the last time I visited. My newfound ferns are slowly unfurling their feathery little heads to wave at the warmer days of spring. Now I have ferns for my yard!

I've been accumulating quite a variety of pass-along plants lately: three rooting branches of a pussy willow tree, two spireas from my aunt, one housewarming butterfly bush from a friend, and the rose bush dad dug up from the back of his house. The latter is an offspring from my grandmother's roses, which are known in my family as the sweetest smelling roses on Earth. Can't beat those roses.

Now the challenge is to find a place for all my new plants. I'm still trying to decide which of the previous owner's plantings I like, and which ones I think I might part with. The camellias' days are probably numbered; I'm not feeling so great about those. Then there is some sort of prickly bush at the end of the yard. Ugly as it is, the birds seem to like it for shelter, so I'm torn about that one. And in the space where I thought I'd plant grandma's rose bush, there are lilies of the valley now emerging from the ground. Every space is filling up fast.


It's a fun challenge to have, though, finding new homes for my pass-alongs and stowaways.

12 Comments:

Blogger Lets Plant said...

Great post!! I can relate!!

11:56 PM  
Blogger bridgmanpottery said...

Oh, Christa, don't axe the camellia! You are at it's northern-most region- what else blooms like it does in the fall and winter? Could you thin it out some? Is it just too big (one of mine is the size of a fat but short oak tree)? Please spare the old Southern Heirloom!

7:58 AM  
Blogger ilex said...

The little fernballs remind me of Muppets getting ready to sing.

9:06 AM  
Blogger Connie said...

Passalongs are my favorite kind of plants. :-) Love the ferns.

10:36 AM  
Blogger Margo said...

Eek! the ferns are so cute! I love ferns, but I just don't think they'd tolerate my sunny garden plot. so sad. I'll enjoy yours if that's okay?

(ilex that is hilarious! Muh-nah-muhnah!)

11:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hello !!
I am writing about garening specially basic
so,
I linked your blog thank you.

If allowed ,Please link this my blog written Japanese.

11:40 AM  
Blogger Matron said...

What wonderful little fern heads. It reminds me that I saw 'fiddlehead' fearns for sale to eat in a grocery store in Seattle - I didn't try them but apparently some varieties.. you can eat. Don't try it though!

3:01 PM  
Blogger alec said...

they are adorable little fronds. i love your blog.-alec

7:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love watching ferns emerge. My husband watched our fern come up and couldn't stop talking about how delicious fiddleheads were. I said, no way! How are your raised beds coming along?

1:02 PM  
Blogger Catherine said...

Pass alongs are wonderful ~aren't they!! And two great stow aways~I love ferns, I just posted a pic of fern fronds~fiddle heads! Great post!
Happy spring, and have a great week, and a great time deciding where to put all of your new plants!!
Cat

8:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love pass-alongs. Stow aways not so much.

I have a bunch of plants that my grandmother passed down to me. And as I don't have my grandmother anymore, they're great reminders of her.

Stow aways have turned into downright invasions once or twice.

1:08 PM  
Blogger Shady Gardener said...

I'm sorry, I haven't visited in such a long time. I seem to have missed a move?? Anyway, you've inherited a lovely collection. And I admire the effort you're making to enjoy all the home-grown produce! I hope not to take so long in visiting, next time! :-)

10:29 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Home