Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day: April

Tuesday, April 15, 2008

This month's Garden Blogger's Bloom Day crept up on me faster than I realized, even though it always falls on the 15th of the month, so I should have been prepared.

My garden is bursting with flowers this month - some of which I planted myself and some of which where left by the previous owners of the house. I've been having the best time watching everything unfold and making each new discovery. My favorite of all is that we have tulips in front of the house, and I didn't even plant them. How's that for a nice surprise?

The tree branch that I posted for February Bloom Day came from the tree pictured above - a beautiful Bradford pear. This weekend, sitting on the deck, we were graced with a shower of its delicate, drifting petals.

With the pear blossoms now finished, I have another tree - a crab apple, I think - that is flooded with gorgeous fuschia flowers. A picture would help here, I know, but the wind made it impossible for me to capture one the other day. I promise a photo soon.

Elsewhere around the yard I have: hyacinths, grape hyacinths, daffodils, forsythia, and a few azalea plants that are about to explode into bloom. I also have... drum roll, please... STRAWBERRY FLOWERS!

9 Comments:

Blogger Muum said...

That photo is worth seeing again! It is fun to have some surprises in your yard, isn't it?

8:45 AM  
Blogger growingagardenindavis said...

Our Bradford pear has a lot of negative traits (messy much of the year) but I love it because it's berries attract cedar waxwings and robins in the winter and it shelters all the other plants in my front yard. How fun to find treasures appearing in your garden!

5:00 PM  
Blogger Carol Michel said...

Christa, It must be fun to see what comes up in your garden this spring, surprises everywhere, I'm sure. And that is very exciting about the strawberries. There is nothing to compare to the sweetness of your own strawberries. Yum!

Carol, May Dreams Gardens

9:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hooray.
You have been nominated for a Fork 'n Monkey Award.
Visit and Vote here.
http://forknmonkey.blogspot.com/2008/04/proud-parent-award.html

6:43 AM  
Blogger Annie in Austin said...

Spring flowering trees are so beautiful, aren't they? And having a previous owner who planted things like crab apples and tulips is pretty cool - we had that experience once, but have also moved into houses where no one ever heard the word 'bulb'.

Happy Blooming Day, Christa!

Annie at the Transplantable Rose

12:49 PM  
Blogger fiona said...

beautiful photo :-)

lol, yes, I just found a couple of strawberry flowers and was a bit amazed too!

3:10 AM  
Blogger kate said...

That is a beautiful bloom. I imagine it is great fun seeing what is coming up where. Hopefully the weather is cooperating and you are getting lots done on your raised garden beds.

2:41 PM  
Blogger Shady Gardener said...

You are very busy! Strawberries! Too early for us, but it sounds wonderful!

12:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hello !!
I write about garening specially basic
so,
I linked your blog thank you.

If allowed ,Please link this my blog written Japanese.

3:27 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Home