The Grapevine is Alive

Sunday, October 21, 2007

I was on my way out the door Thursday morning when I decided to make a quick run to the backyard to see if the spinach seeds I'd planted days earlier were showing any signs of life. They weren't. And I was disappointed to realize I'd probably planted them too late. Again. Curses.

But then something caught the corner of my eye. It was not at all what I was looking for, especially since now I was accustomed to turning my glance away from the sad sight that was our shriveled-up grapevine.


Is that...? What... ? Are those... ? NEW LEAVES!? I had to reach out and touch one to convince myself it was real.

I can't believe it. It's alive. Our grapevine is still alive!

Of all the plants we moved from the District to Maryland, the grapevine suffered the most from its uprooting. (The butterfly bush is a near goner too, but more about that later.) As we dug the plant from the ground, I remember how surprised I was at how long its roots had grown; it was a mere twig when we received it from our friend last April. How awful it felt to tear its fragile veins from the earth. Within moments, its leaves wilted to a crisp. I'd never seen a plant wither so quickly, so severely.

That was three weeks ago when we did all our transplanting. Since then, I'd been diligently watering our grapevine's skeleton, even though I was convinced I would see no gasp of a lifeline until next spring. If ever.

And then there it was. A tiny new leaf. And then another. And another.

For as quickly as the plant wilted during the move, it now appears equally as quick to come back to life. I am once again amazed at how resilient plants can be. And I am beyond words to say how happy we are. Our little grapevine is still alive.

15 Comments:

Blogger Whyite said...

I am so happy for you, that it made it through. Hope your Butterfly Bush will recover as well.

11:47 AM  
Blogger Carol Michel said...

How wonderful! I know I thought once that my grape vine had not made it through the winter, but it came back stronger than ever. They seem to be quite resilient. Maybe the butterfly bush will sprout again in the spring?

Carol at May Dreams Gardens

12:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hoooray!

such a relief to see those goners make a comeback.

1:26 PM  
Blogger Aiyana said...

Vines always seem to be extra sensitive to being moved, but since it's alive, it will probably be better than ever once established.
Aiyana

1:28 PM  
Blogger janelle said...

I know that elation; I am so happy you vine is alive! It is hard to explain to people the euphoria one can experience in gardening, and even cooking. I am like a kid in the candy store at farmer's markets...

9:51 PM  
Blogger Gina said...

YAY! that is exciting news!

10:31 PM  
Blogger kate said...

The grapevine make a remarkable recovery ... I suddenly had a vision of the zucchini plant that you'd applied some first aid to! The grapevine made it all on its own.

It is so exciting when a plant comes back to life! And now I'm off to sleep with a smile on my face. Thank you!

12:33 AM  
Blogger Rowena said...

Good for your grapevine...I can imagine how it must have felt to spy those new bits of green among the dead leaves! =)

2:08 AM  
Blogger Priscilla George said...

congratulations! It pays to not give up on plants sometimes.

1:16 PM  
Blogger Muum said...

Glad to hear it! Our grapevine (in a pot) has surprised me by still being alive, too.

1:20 PM  
Blogger Yolanda Elizabet Heuzen said...

Jippeeeeeeeee, now that's what I call good news! How nice that your vine is alive and well.

2:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, how wonderful! When plants you're convinced are goners sprout out new leaves it's like a small Easter. YAY!

4:39 PM  
Blogger Christa said...

Thanks, everyone, for cheering on the grapevine!

What a wonderful surprise it was to see those first little new leaves. YAY!

7:40 PM  
Blogger Tira said...

Yipee for you! I can imagine your satisfation, and hope the rest of the new garden takes off as well.

2:04 AM  
Blogger rfvgardens said...

Wow! Grape vines always amaze me. They can be tough as nails at times and produce such sweet delicate fruits. I let my Vine grow wild. It has grown 20 feet or so up into a London Plane tree. It happily feeds the birds. Don't worry to much about your Butterfly bush, most of them look kinda dead this time of the year. They always seem to bounce back real nice in the Spring.

7:09 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Home