Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day

Monday, October 15, 2007
Thanks to the gardeners who lived in this house before me, I am enjoying an inheritance of potted petunias...

Bright red geraniums on the porch...

A few colorful coleus plants...

... and red roses that smell absolutely divine. There are six red rose bushes that line the perimeter of the backyard. These are my first rose bushes. I'll have to read up on them because I don't know the slightest thing about rose care. (Do I prune them in the fall or spring?)

From the community garden in the District, I brought along several of my perennial flowers. I planted them along the deck, which is where they'll hold out for the winter until I decide on permanent places for them.

One of my Black-eyed Susans waves goodbye, until next summer.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Gardeners share their flowers on the 15th of each month for Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day. Read the comments at May Dreams Gardens to see who else is participating today.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Related post: August Bloom Day

5 Comments:

Blogger Carol Michel said...

It's nice to have some inherited flowers to tide you over, isn't it? Someone else will have to answer your rose questions, as I just have one rose in my garden, and it gets NO special care. It all is going to depend on if those are hybrid teas, shrub roses, etc. Do you know much about them?

Carol at May Dreams Gardens

5:39 PM  
Blogger Muum said...

I am wishing that there will be a lot of pleasant surprises (spring bulbs?) for you in your new yard.

10:13 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

If I remember correctly, the beautiful roses in the beds when I was at GW were pruned over winter break. I prune roses here at New Years. I hope that helps!

I'm excited about your roses and I look forward to seeing what blooms for you.

11:29 PM  
Blogger Christa said...

Carol,
I don't know anything about them. A hybrid tea is all the same as a shrub rose to me. I hope someone out there can identify them for me.

Muum,
Thanks! I hope so too!

Christina,
Thanks. Now that you mention it, I think I remember seeing that the roses at National Cathedral were also pruned back in the winter. Since I have six plants, maybe I'll experiment and prune a few... leave a few alone... and see what happens.

8:24 AM  
Blogger Catherine said...

Inherited flower's are always nice!! I've always pruned back my rose's in the winter, & in the spring, I cut back the dead canes...
Cat

2:13 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Home