Comfort me with vegetables. And cheese.

Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Every slice and dice is a meditation on the miracle in a seed. Four years into my journey as a vegetable grower, I haven't yet lost my sense of wonder at all things I accompany from soil to supper. Every colorful piece of this edible mosaic was grown by my own hand, brought to life with the generous sun and the miraculous rain. Potatoes, zucchini, crookneck squash, carrots, onions, garlic, and thyme.


Some things are best enjoyed in their purest form, and so it was with this simple summer vegetable bake. The vegetables were enveloped in olive oil and herbs, roasted until soft and fragrant.

For a special touch -- and for the more practical purpose of adding protein -- I made Parmesan crisps to round out my meal. A baked casserole dish screams for cheese.


These were simple nests of freshly grated Parmesano-Reggiano with a few sprinklings of thyme perched on top.

In two minutes, they surrendered into flat discs. More chewy than crisp, but irresistible nonetheless, they were a mouthwatering match for my vegetable dish.

Summer Vegetable Bake with Thyme-Parmesan Crisps

20 Comments:

Blogger Jane O' said...

These roasted veggies look great. I can't wait to try the parmesan chips. Yum!

8:46 AM  
Blogger Tracey said...

And cheese! Parmesan chips - brilliant . . .

9:07 AM  
Blogger Annie in Austin said...

Oh, baby - let's get out the silpat...
Thanks, Christa!

Annie at the Transplantable Rose

10:45 AM  
Blogger Morgan said...

Thanks to this post...I am now literally drooling! How fulfilling to grow so much of your own sustenance.

11:43 AM  
Blogger Muum said...

yummy idea ! looks great.

4:38 PM  
Blogger Carol Michel said...

Unbelievably delicious looking. I just ate, but I could eat all of that, too!

7:04 PM  
Blogger Tira said...

What a cool and light recipe. Must try that twist on roasted veggies.

10:16 PM  
Blogger Rowena said...

Simple yet so beautiful! If, for the bounty of next year, I succeed in only half of what you've grown in your garden, I'll be one happy gal! But I guess with gardening, patience is a virtue.... ;-)

2:29 AM  
Blogger Christa said...

Yes, be patient and keep at it Rowena. It took me a couple years to get the productive garden I have today, and I still have failures along the way -- it's always a challenge, but it's tremendously rewarding in the end.

Thanks, everyone, for your comments. Enjoy the Parm chips if you try them!

7:12 AM  
Blogger Connie said...

Beautiful veggies! I am sure they were very tasty, as well.

3:55 PM  
Blogger RUTH said...

Oh I wish I eaten before I read this post...it looks and sounds delicious...and has made me really hungry!

4:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OOOOHH, yummy! Great use of the Silpat (I don't have one yet, but I really, really want one. My next treat for myself.) Perhaps if you wanted a "crispier" cheese nibble just leaving them in the oven longer, or possibly starting out with a thinner layer of cheese, would achieve that objective. Gorgeous photos, by the way. {wipes drool}

9:40 PM  
Blogger bs said...

must get a silpat! that's a great idea... i would have thrown the cheese on top and called it a day, but you're much more creative!

12:22 AM  
Blogger Bev said...

Yum!! What a beautiful, healthy and simple dish. You are very creative.

1:57 PM  
Blogger Kylee Baumle said...

Oh my goodness, that all looks so YUMMY!!!

12:09 AM  
Blogger Muum said...

?Silpat? could somebody explain that for me? thanks!

10:18 AM  
Blogger Christa said...

Hi, Muum,
Silpat is the name-brand of the mat I used on the cookie sheet. It keeps foods from sticking to the pan (without the addition of butter or grease). There's more information about it here.

10:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your veggies and recipes are very wonder-ful.
I love parmesan crisps.
When I make grilled cheese sandwiches, I'm always the one who's picking off the almost burnt crispy peices of cheese and eating them.

1:41 PM  
Blogger Matron said...

That looks wonderful! I have the same vegetables in season over here too. I made a wonderful traditional English summer pickle with those same ingredients. Come have a look!

4:14 PM  
Blogger Whyite said...

Oh yumm. I have already eaten supper but those make me hungry to do something like that tonight!

10:30 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Home