The Larkspur Meadow

Monday, June 11, 2007
Front view of the plot on 5/25/07

Last year when I first had success with growing larkspur flowers, I was very diligent about scattering the seeds so they would come back again this year. And come back they did...

Same view now

Michael just shakes his head. "You are your mother's daughter," he says, referring to the way my mom likes to grow things in a very natural, let-the-seeds-fall-where-they-may kind of style. I mostly have purple ones in there (they're my favorite, and most likely I was more assertive with my re-seeding effort when it came to those), and there are a few white and pink ones mixed in as well. The yellow spots in the back are yarrow flowers, and there are a few self-sown red poppies off to the left. This whole section of the plot is humming with the buzz of happy bees. I call it "the meadow."

6 Comments:

Blogger Carol Michel said...

I like the meadow. It looks like a happy place!

9:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just beautiful! What a wonder place to visit. Do they smell good too?

7:24 AM  
Blogger Celia Hart said...

What a beautiful mix of blue and yellow! Larkspur petals are becoming pupular as natural dried-flower-petal confetti for summer weddings. Pretty and biodegradable too!

My Grandmother grew Larksur as a cut flower to send to Covent Garden Market in London (when the flower market was still next to the Opera House). The flowers were packed in wooden boxes carefully labelled (my job when I first learnt to write!) and taken to the station to go on the train to London. The flower growing business in the Cambridgeshire fens is all but gone now, but there are still some market gardeners who grow a few rows of the tradiional varieties to sell at roadside stalls

8:47 AM  
Blogger Iowa Gardening Woman said...

I love larkspur, what a beautiful care free flower. Makes me happy just looking at your photo.

11:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love how larkspur reseeds - and am with you and your mother on this! Mine pops up in various places in the garden, and I just let it be - so I think your meadow is just perfect! (Oh, and the peas from the most recent post look gorgeous, not to mention the dinner - mine are long finished, but I was just up in Charlottesville last weekend, and my parents were beginning to harvest theirs. Fresh garden peas are the best, I think.

8:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad to find another larkspur enthusiast. I have a larkspur meadow, too.

Here's a more recent photo of it. It changes quite a bit each year as the larkspur sows itself around.

10:36 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Home