After the Storm

Thursday, June 29, 2006
I'm happy to report that the garden, for the most part, weathered the storm fairly well. I lost two dahlia plants, which I'm sad about, but I'm grateful that it wasn't worse. The dahlia stems appear to have been snapped off at the roots, but the tubers can probably be rescued and saved for next year.

My lobelia took a beating, too. The plants were covered in blossoms on Saturday...

...and now they're nearly bald. Given some time, though, I'm sure they will bloom again this summer.

There is also a noticeable amount of erosion in one of our vegetable beds. It's going to take a few loads of compost to re-build the soil, but it will be all right.

On a walk through the rest of the community garden, I noticed that some of the other plots were much worse. There was one that had puddles in it, and several had areas that were completely saturated and spongy.

I also noticed that some peoples' tomato plants were in pretty bad shape -- all wilted and droopy. I wonder if it's because the stems got broken, or because they got completely waterlogged?

We are lucky; our tomato plants remain in great shape, and it looks as if they didn't lose any blossoms or fruit.

Through all of these days of rain, it amazes me how things have just 'kept on keepin' on'. I found that my wax beans have started to ripen...

...and our first sunflower came out to shine.

5 Comments:

Blogger R said...

your sunflower is gorgeous! i so wish for mine to bloom. glad you weathered the storm well.

4:40 PM  
Blogger Stunned Donor said...

I'm glag your garden made it through the storms and hopefully the other plots will bounce back.

5:37 PM  
Blogger Stunned Donor said...

glag? try glad.

5:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

glad your garden made it through the storms!!! I will be waiting on one of those tomatos when they are ripped and ready to pick ;-)
your wire baskets helped a lot.

8:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

your sunflower is gorgeous and I am jealous. Mine was about 2 feet tall and when I went out tonight something ate all its leaves. it is stem and sticks. All the leaves are gone in just one day.

10:09 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Home