Beet Harvest

Sunday, July 20, 2008
Last weekend I pulled my spring crop of beets. There weren't many to speak of, but I did have a few good-sized ones in the bunch. The largest among them were about three inches in diameter.

I baked these in the oven, placing them in an aluminum foil packet with a little olive oil and water to steam them. I thought I would make a beet salad, but I ended up just eating them plain, cold, slipped straight from their skins. Incredibly sweet, they tasted like candy, which is precisely what I love about beets!

In past years, I've left my beets in the ground too long and they turned woody and bitter. This bunch turned out so well that was inspired to scale up my fall crop. I've planted about four times as many beets to harvest by season's end. In our Zone 7, now is the perfect time to sow their seeds.

Kitty was impressed with the beet harvest, too.

11 Comments:

Blogger Robin Ripley said...

Beets! What a grand idea. I have just the spot for them.

Now, how do I grow a cute little kitty like that?

Robin
Gardening Examiner

10:22 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

wow- I planted some seeds 50 days ago and the leaves are half the size-- I dug one up and there was nada, nothing. Any ideas?

10:25 AM  
Blogger vb said...

Love beets! A great plant that gives you two crops - leaves and roots.

10:28 AM  
Blogger The Diva said...

I love roasted beets. It's my favorite way to have them. My beet crops over the years didn't fare that well. Glad yours did. The photo with your kitty is grand. Happy GTS.~~Dee

10:45 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

The greens are most excellent also!

Carol

6:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with Carol -- those greens are tasty!

The beets are gorgeous, Christa! I'm glad they turned out so well. Good luck with that Fall crop!

9:24 AM  
Blogger kathy said...

What do you mean by not too many - looks like a great harvest! I just love a sweet garden beet baked in foil. Sounds delicious.

I pulled a few of mine today and am looking forward to baking in foil. I'll eat the greens too. They get sautéed separately.

11:42 PM  
Blogger Ann said...

Yum! Even though I'm the only beet lover in the house, I plant them every year in our Fall garden -- and they're all mine!

8:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

They look fab, nice pic too of kitty. I've never grown these before, but might start as they look very rewarding!

9:44 AM  
Blogger Matron said...

I just love beets! Sadly my crop has failed three times this year. Most recently due to cats digging up the seed bed and uprooting all the little seedlings! Have you ever tried to make a wonderful Polish soup called barszch?

3:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey there,
they look great to me!!
Great picture of your kitty, too.
Joyce

12:02 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Home