A Good Soak

Monday, April 03, 2006
This morning, I woke up to a rhythmic swish-swishing sound emanating from beyond our bedroom window. It was the unmistakable sound of cars passing over wet pavement. It had rained!

I rolled over and listened, while my thoughts drifted to the garden. Our newly planted seeds, all tucked in their beds, had a refreshing wake-up call: Time to start stirring and setting down roots.

Michael and I spent a few good hours in the garden on Sunday afternoon. I planted seeds of carrots, beets, Swiss chard and scallions. He planted chamomile, dill, savory, shallots and potatoes. I lined the stone path with our "stepable" stonecrop, while he transplanted the chervil. We filled the herbs bed with fresh compost and put the finishing touches on our Wire Grass Barrier, a board-lined trench full of wood chips that we hope will stave off the wire grass that is persistently creeping in from the neighboring, weed-infested plot.


Tonight, we're having more rain. A really good, soaking rain. With thunder and lightning even!
My mind is at ease, knowing that the garden is getting a good drink.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Home