Planting Garlic and Daffodils

Tuesday, October 16, 2007
We had plenty of garlic left over from this summer's crop, so I didn't have to buy any new seed garlic this year. I selected three of our largest bulbs and planted the individual cloves about four inches deep in the cool earth of our newly made garden bed. It was enough for three short rows, all lined up next to our still-ailing grapevine.

I also spent some time this weekend finding new homes for the daffodil bulbs I brought with me from the community garden. I wanted to plant a few under the maple tree in our front yard. I thought it would be a great way to initiate the de-lawning process and stake out a few surprises for next spring. But my efforts were quickly thwarted once I tried tapping into the extremely dry, clay soil. I struggled to remove just one small shovel's worth of sod, and then I hit one of the tree's roots. Not good.


I gave up on that idea and instead tucked the bulbs into the borders along the house, where there there was, surprise, more tough soil disguised under a thin layer of mulch and sprawling azalea roots. It was no easy task to get through all that, and I surely hope the bulbs will make it. Not only are they in tough soil, but they also have to survive the dreaded squirrel, who visits daily now. Wherever I dig, the squirrel soon follows. It's so frustrating. If I see any daffodils in my spring garden, I will be pleased!

18 Comments:

Blogger ellipsisknits said...

Squirrels shouldn't bother daffodil bulbs. They aren't tasty. Tulips on the other hand...

12:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Daffodil bulbs are actually somewhat poisonous to squirrels, so you should be safe with them. Theyl probably leave your garlic alone too, but they'll destroy practically everything else! Good luck!

5:21 PM  
Blogger Iowa Gardening Woman said...

Those are some healthy looking garlic bulbs.

9:13 PM  
Blogger Alanna Kellogg said...

Good for you! I haven't put mine in yet - it is time but my excuse is that it still feels like summer ...

8:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was going to say, I don't know how big your hand is, but unless you have tiny hands those look like huge bulbs of garlic!

Good luck with it all! My garlic is going in in a few weeks.

10:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

These are German White Hardneck garlic. They are hardy, handle our winters (zone 7) and the early heat of the summer before they are harvested in mid/early summer.

http://www.localharvest.org/store/item.jsp?id=9200

They grow, on average, between the size of a golf ball to as large as twice that size.

It appears ze German's engineer more than cars vell.

11:35 AM  
Blogger Connie said...

Those are some great looking garlic bulbs you grew.
I also planted daffodils today, a new variety for me called Pink Charm...they are white with a pink edge on the cup. Can't wait until spring to see them!

9:54 PM  
Blogger Gardenista said...

Smelling strong like a garlic yet pretty like a daffodil is the allium, which is also supposed to be unappetizing to the squirrels. I am trying a few this year, not because of squirrels, but just to test the limits of hardiness...

They might be a fun addition to the garden!

11:33 PM  
Blogger Matron said...

I just tear my hair out each year when the squirrels dig up all my beautiful Spring bulbs!

12:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Re squirrels. My advice: Buy a firearm. I would have done it long ago if I lived in the States. Here in the UK it's impossible, which is a shame: I've suffered a bit of a sense of humour failure about squirrels recently and I now fancy myself as a psycho squirrel serial killer...

1:50 PM  
Blogger Robin (Bumblebee) said...

Ooooh. Thanks for the reminder on the garlic. I have had good success with fall plantings and have some tucked away. (I am down in Calvery County, MD -- the country). Must...get...outdoors...

--Robin (Bumblebee)

2:13 PM  
Blogger Christa said...

Thanks, all, for visiting!

I didn't realize daffodils were poisonous to squirrels. Good!

Allium... Is that the plant that has a large round purple flower (or collection of flowers, rather)? Those are cool looking. Glad to know those are a squirrel-proof option.

Too bad about tulips... I know they love those...

Soilman, LOL about the firearm. As much of a pain as the squirrels are, though, I don't think I'd have the heart to shoot one. I'd probably accidentally blow out a neighbor's window or something with my bad aim!

7:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

They are a nice looking garlic. Good luck against Mr Squirrel,

8:39 PM  
Blogger joey said...

Can I come over? Would love to 'grab' your plump garlic bulbs for my recipes. Though my herbs grow prolific, have never had luck growing garlic.

11:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have some garlic to plant also!

10:19 AM  
Blogger Whyite said...

Thats what I am needing to do as soon as I can. I love garlic but have never grown any. This year I am.Your garlic looks nice and healthy.

7:44 PM  
Blogger kate said...

You have healthy-looking garlic planted ... I imagine the prospect of spring is pretty exciting in your new house.

Hopefully your daffodils thrive in their new location. I'm sure they will because you shouldn't have to worry about squirrels. There are several different types of Alliums that all look great in the garden. They thrive here which means they are easily hardy to zone 3.

2:24 AM  
Blogger Kylee Baumle said...

I just planted garlic, too! On the 12th. First time for me. I hope it does well!

10:55 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Home