Veggies for Small Spaces

Thursday, January 18, 2007

I was perusing the Territorial Seed Company's Web site the other day when I came across a collection of seeds -- a gift basket actually -- intended for people who are trying to garden in small spaces or containers. The Urban Jungle Veggie Garden Basket includes seeds for 16 types of vegetable plants that have a "compact growth habit."

I wouldn't buy this basket for myself (or for anyone else for that matter) because I think the price of $89.95 is a bit steep for what you get. I would rather buy individual seed packets and put together a gift basket on my own. But what I do like here is the listing of seeds. There are several varieties that I haven't heard of, and all are supposed to do well for gardeners with limited space. The list includes Small Miracle broccoli, Gonzales cabbage and Sungreen zucchini. I wonder if they're worth a try?

For the most part, I plant small amounts of seed for regular-size vegetable plants. But some things -- broccoli and cabbage, for example -- take up quite a bit of real estate in my plot, even if I only plant a few. In fact, I was thinking I would skip the broccoli and cabbage this year, since they take up so much space compared to other vegetables that yield more food. Bush beans, for example, will yield several meal's worth of veggies vs. one broccoli plant that will yield... one broccoli.

I wonder about the so-called Small Miracle broccoli. Anyone ever try it? Is it worth it?

5 Comments:

Blogger Anita said...

I've never tried to plant broccoli before but I would love to! Oh, why can't the new gardening season start straight away? There's still much time to go until May!
Have a great week-end!

10:59 AM  
Blogger Carol Michel said...

I gave up on broccoli because no matter what I did, I'd still get those little green worms on them!

8:03 AM  
Blogger JaneJane said...

Have you thought about fall crop brussle sprouts? Much of their growth is vertical, their harvest time is after much of the other fall crops, and they can be cut off individually thus legnthening the harvest time, and they are relatively expensive to buy in the store. Brussle sprouts can even be done in containers.

5:51 PM  
Blogger Christa said...

I grew a brussels sprouts plant last fall and it was indeed a great "vertical grower" that didn't take up too much space. Unfortunately, I had a terrible problem with whiteflies. I will keep trying, though, because I think the plants are interesting and I love the sprouts!

10:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

For organic control of those little green worms on your broccoli, cabbge, brussels sprouts, etc. check out http://www.mothblocker.com

12:54 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Home