Planting the Seeds

Monday, January 29, 2007
My green thumb was itching to sink a few seeds into starter soil yesterday. And so begins the making of my 2007 garden. It all begins here, in a lineup of three inch pots under a single buzzing light in a corner of the living room floor.

Tucked under the grow lights are the makings of several vegetables that now, awaking from their silent slumber, begin their long transformation into something delectable for my dinner plate: purple and red bell peppers, red chard, sweet banana peppers and poblanos. Joining the party to spice things up are herbs: marjoram, rosemary, summer savory, garlic chives, tarragon and Thai basil. And to dazzle the spirit along the journey: lobelia, dahlias, snapdragons and the dear-to-my-heart calendula.

I am jumping the gun on a few things here, I know. But in some cases the seeds are two or three years old, so this is a bit of an experiment to see what will still germinate.

What will be the first thing to sprout, I wonder?

5 Comments:

Blogger lilymarlene said...

I'm itching to start mine, but we will be away at the end of Feb and can't really expect the dog sitters to look after seedlings. So I'm hoping to do them just before we go so that they germinate while we're away.
Yours look so good!

10:59 AM  
Blogger Alissa said...

I reckon the chard will be up first.
It's great to get started isn't it. What is a poblano?

12:52 PM  
Blogger Christa said...

Thanks for visiting! Poblanos are a type of chile pepper. Here is a photo of what they look like.

3:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My first reaction was you were jumping the gun a bit but if the seed is old.....better know now that you'll have to resow.

4:43 AM  
Blogger Colleen Vanderlinden said...

I still have a couple weeks before I can start any of mine....but your photo there is tempting me to start earlier. I just love having all of my little flats and pots under the lights in the basement. It's so promising and optimistic. Sounds like you'll have some yummy stuff growing this year :-)

7:29 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Home