First Snow of 2007

Sunday, January 21, 2007
Snowflakes on Brussels Sprouts, January 21, 2007

Old Man Winter was alive and kicking here in Washington, D.C. today. I was out for a walk to my garden plot early this afternoon when the first few snow flurries began to fall. I didn't think much would come of it. I didn't even realize there was snow in the forecast. We've had such a mild winter up until now, I guess I just expected it would be a snowless season entirely.

I stepped into my plot to pick up a handful of mizuna greens for a soup I'd intended to make. But I found the mizuna plant completely limp and frozen solid; not a single leaf was salvageable for my soup. But did I care? Not one bit. It was snowing!! And I love snow!!

And I know I'm not alone. There was a genuine glow of excitement in people's faces as I passed them by on the sidewalks. Children, wide-eyed and rosy-cheeked, skipped along. Adults laughed and smiled. One man hooted from an apartment balcony high above, "Snow! Yeah! Woo-whoo!"

Snow lovers around the city were in full celebration mode.

So there I was, standing next to the limp mizuna, snowflakes building up in my hair, thinking to myself, What the heck am I doing in the garden on a day like this? (Freezing my fingertips on the camera no less.) This was a day for curling up inside, getting cozy in a favorite sweater, and gazing at the swirling snow crystals with a cup of piping-hot cocoa in hand.

Winter has arrived. And the garden can finally have its true rest.

4 Comments:

Blogger roybe said...

I love to see winter images, and I love brussell sprouts. Being originally from the northern hemisphere,

6:06 AM  
Blogger ACey said...

We finally got winter, too. I was getting worried about the lack of a dormancy cycle.

8:09 AM  
Blogger Anita said...

Winter has finally arrived in Germany, too. It's much much colder now and according to the weather forecast, we will get the first snow this week-end.

1:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just found this site... I was back-following some links. Interesting that winter came so late in your region.

I put up a Frost on the Cabbage post last OCTOBER... and there is still snow on the ground. But I'm in the midwest... missing the midatlantic seasons.

Nice blog. I look forward to exploring it further.

9:50 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Home