New Garlic

Thursday, November 16, 2006

Yesterday the board members of our community garden shut down the water system for the winter. The faucets are now dry and the hoses are tucked away neatly in the shed. This marks the true end of the gardening season here.

But wait! It's not completely the end, is it?

No, in some respects it's actually the beginning. At least that's how I see it when it comes to garlic. I was delightfully surprised yesterday to see that our new garlic plants have just begun to emerge from the ground. New, beautiful green sprouts.

When all else is shutting down and dying away, there is life beginning anew. Quietly, steadily... One season ends. A new one begins.

Labels:

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Christa, that reminds me that I probably ought to go out there and see if I have any garlic sprouts of my own. I planted my garlic and then kind of forgot about them. How long do they usually take to sprout?

Genie
The Inadvertent Gardener

7:57 AM  
Blogger Christa said...

These took about three weeks to sprout. The recent warm weather here helped them along, I think.

Good luck growing yours!

8:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really enjoy it when the garlic begins to show above ground and promises so much to come.

Am in Princeton as I write this, celebrating an early Thanksgiving, we cook for 20 on Saturday, no pressure! A sunny balmy even warm day - how can this be so late in the year!? Presumably you too are experiencing similar weather in DC?

8:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovely photo!

10:33 AM  
Blogger Christa said...

John,
Cooking for 20 people...that's sounds challenging! Good luck! Enjoy the celebration.

Nicole, thanks. Glad you like it.

11:02 AM  
Blogger Christa said...

Welcome to anyone who's stopping by as a result of yesterday's mention in The Washington Post Express. Stayed tuned to see what else I've got growing in my tiny garden plot. More than just garlic! :-)

11:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovely...poetic, isn't it? Great photo.

2:24 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Home